Mint forum and [SOLVED] topics

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Mint forum and [SOLVED] topics

Post by asinoro »

Forums are very helpful to people which experience problems. Linux Mint forum should have a group of moderators who follow the topics and mark them as solved whether if the user it does or not. BUT REALLY THAT ARE SOLVED and not what we experience in the web with so many fake [solved].
It is in the interest of the Mint forum to keep it in a high level by providing the users with more solved solutions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint forum and [SOLVED] topics

Post by xenopeek »

You're volunteering to do that work for now?

The forum moderators are all volunteers. As passionate Linux Mint users they volunteer some of their time to help keep the forums function optimally. Keeping out spam, moving posts if they were posted in a less appropriate forum where they might not get replies, keeping the peace if needed and such. It's the user that has reported an issue that is best situated to decide whether their issue is solved to their satisfaction.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am You're volunteering to do that work for now?

The forum moderators are all volunteers. As passionate Linux Mint users they volunteer some of their time to help keep the forums function optimally. Keeping out spam, moving posts if they were posted in a less appropriate forum where they might not get replies, keeping the peace if needed and such. It's the user that has reported an issue that is best situated to decide whether their issue is solved to their satisfaction.
For the time that I can spend for sure. That means more people watch better results.
The users sometimes are lazy even thought their problem was solved they don’t mark it as so. For the Mint forum such a lazy behavior don’t help because the same issue can appear soon and by searching the web if it is not marked as solved, it can not be easy detected. As a result we loose all of us who try to help more time and energy both very valuable.
Another thing is that the reputation of Mint will rise by presenting more credible [SOLVED] topics.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Adding [SOLVED] to topics won't stop people asking the same question again. Some people are good with searching for information on their issue and would read recent topics on the same regardless of whether they are marked [SOLVED] (though of course they'd start with the ones marked as [SOLVED]). Others are less handy with searching for information or in the moment (panic! it doesn't work!) skip that step and thus marking it [SOLVED] isn't useful for these groups.

As such I don't think this would make much of a difference without doing a lot more. Like people would first have to type what they need help with and look at a list of suggested topics with possibly solutions for what they need help with and only if there isn't one create a new topic. That assumes people can ask questions smartly (already having done most of the troubleshooting to pinpoint the component that is the root cause of their observation) and for the groups I mentioned above that isn't the case most of the time. That's fine and not a problem. The forums are here to help anybody that needs support, regardless how tech savvy they are.

I can understand where you're coming from with the suggestion. Perhaps I'm a bit blunted on this topic as admin and dealing a lot with people that don't read the information available.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Whilst there are a few instances of inappropriately added [SOLVED] as well as a more significant number where the OP doesn't add it at all, I do agree with xenopeek in that it's really up to the OP to decide if their issue is fixed.

It's also not unusual for people to add extra suggestions and info to such threads, especially those where an issue crops up again. I've seen [SOLVED] removed, then later reinstated etc..

I do see a fair few posts where a Mod has added code tags or otherwise improved badly-formatted posts to make them more readable, plus a few where [SOLVED] was added to the wrong post & corrected by a Moderator.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”