Variety of themes

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JR86

Variety of themes

Post by JR86 »

I would like to see some distinct variety in the themes that are packaged as default and the addition of a sub theme option for the colour scheme. The most important reasons relates to attracting new users to Linux/Mint.
There are some amazing looking themes out there that are a big improvement over the standard choices available. At the moment the default selection are all pretty similar and not particularly appealing. Why have a dozen different themes that are just the same thing but in a different colour?! It is good to have that easy option to apply at the end of a button..but that barely counts as a new theme. I regard these as colour schemes rather than complete themes, and this colour scheme option would be a nice addition to be able to apply to any theme (without having to manually tweak each aspect).

It would be ideal if there were about a dozen different desktop and icon themes, and a broad selection of amazing wallpapers as default. The bugs could be worked out so there is no trial-and-error by users wanting to upgrade from the standard look. It would add greatly to the appeal and promotability of Mint especially when we show someone who has never tried Linux before. If there were a roughly a dozen themes that covered a broad range of preferences for layout and visual appearance then there could be something that appeals to everyone's taste.

Currently, when I try and sway a customer or friend to make the leap to Linux, the standard choices are unexciting and plain..and this is a barrier. I soon solve this by pre-installing some extra themes, but I think should be standard out of the box. Although easily upgraded, new and novice users either don't know or are intimidated by doing it themselves. The look of the themes is overly important in the perception of these newcomers and as the lowest common denominator they should be catered for as such. Throw in a transparent theme, a semi transparent, windows and mac loo alike's, a couple of futuristic neon coloured, menus up the top, to the side, bottom etc etc..A good range that shows off the potential options and is visually stunning with matching wallpapers..rather than plain vanilla that we get currently.

Thanks, JR86
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Variety of themes

Post by absque fenestris »

Great idea - maybe like this:

Linux Mint Cinnamon
Linux Mint MATE
Linux Mint Xfce
Linux Mint Kindergarten
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JR86 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am I would like to see some distinct variety in the themes that are packaged as default
Great! When are you going to start creating them?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

catweazel wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:11 am
JR86 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am I would like to see some distinct variety in the themes that are packaged as default
No kidding! People vastly underestimate the amount of work creating and maintaining a theme is. You aren't likely to see us doing any more.

I also don't buy the new to LInux argument. Most people who come from Windows just use what windows give them and never even consider changing it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JosephM wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 am
catweazel wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:11 am
No kidding! People vastly underestimate the amount of work creating and maintaining a theme is. You aren't likely to see us doing any more.

I also don't buy the new to LInux argument. Most people who come from Windows just use what windows give them and never even consider changing it.
Indeed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JR86

Post by JR86 »

Ok, well personally it a medium-term goal of mine to make one. Currently studying hard (Linux and IT) but I see it in the not to distant future..hopefully and eagerly lol.

Forgive me if I am being naive, but there are a lot already made by others that are open source and could be incorporated without having to 'redesign the wheel' so to speak. It doesn't take long to customise new themes when I do an install, so I am not sure why it would be such an immense work load to do this officially and package a few extras as default alongside those already present (Breeze, Oxygen etc).

In reply to the 'cinnamon, mate, xfce' comment..I am only suggesting themes, not entire desktop environments. Most of us I assume tweak the look and feel of these environments already, I am only suggesting more variety packaged out-of-the-box. Which brings me to the windows newcomers comment;

Yes they typically are use to not asking questions and making do without customising, but the ease and availability of options to apply on Mint and other distros is a flashy attraction to the unfamiliar. I have shown quite a few people who are initially uninspired by the look alone and who are only grasping the advantage that everything is free. A 5 minute guided tour of tweaking the look and feel though, and it usually sparks some enthusiasm and intrigue. A few screenshots on the installation progress window showing off these theme options, and perhaps a button linking to the theme options on the welcome window could facilitate this nicely I reckon.

Thanks for all the good work you do already btw, I love your work Mint team, and given Ubuntu's current direction you are clear out in front as my number 1 now. I will donate as soon as my student budget allows and contribute if possible as soon as my skills are up to standard. :mrgreen:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”