1st choice in Grub on dualboot with Windows

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
vansloneker

1st choice in Grub on dualboot with Windows

Post by vansloneker »

I don't know if this has ever been posted and I apologize in advance for any duplicate post.

When installing Mint next to an existing Windows installation by default Mint is chosen as primary boot. I think this is rather unfriendly towards the Windows user. Often Mint is installed side by side with Windows by novices, who now are forced to run Mint if they do not make the choice for Windows at boot. If they do not want Mint as default boot they will have a hard time changing Grub. I think it would be more polite if the installer has the option during installation for selecting which operating system to boot by default, or, set the other operating system as default. If the user later feels the need to set Mint as default they will do so.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 1st choice in Grub on dualboot with Windows

Post by asinoro »

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
change this
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
and add this
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

save close the document and then
sudo update-grub
Next time your system will boot the last operating system you used.

This option has Debian by default Mint choosed not to use it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Thank you for the replies but you missed the point of my message.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Linux idea is not to please Windows users, and Windows (10) breaks boot often after its updates.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

It's all about politeness and wrong attitude:
To Be a Great Leader, You Must First Learn to Follow
rado84

Post by rado84 »

vansloneker wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm I don't know if this has ever been posted and I apologize in advance for any duplicate post.

When installing Mint next to an existing Windows installation by default Mint is chosen as primary boot. I think this is rather unfriendly towards the Windows user. Often Mint is installed side by side with Windows by novices, who now are forced to run Mint if they do not make the choice for Windows at boot. If they do not want Mint as default boot they will have a hard time changing Grub. I think it would be more polite if the installer has the option during installation for selecting which operating system to boot by default, or, set the other operating system as default. If the user later feels the need to set Mint as default they will do so.
That's why I have 2 storage devices - one for Windows and one for Linux. With 2 devices I don't have to edit GRUB in order to load one or the other OS. Windows is installed on the SSD, Linux on the hard drive and in the UEFI I only have to choose which device to be booted first, depending on what I need... this week, for instance. :P Currently it's set to boot from the hard drive first but if I'm gonna use Windows more, I'll just select the SSD to be the first in the line to boot.
While this may sound lame to some people, I think it provides easy means to get rid of either OS in the event you don't like it or something goes wrong. With Linux installed on the hard drive it's just a matter of 2 clicks in Windows to send the whole Linux to hell and vice versa. That way if something goes wrong you won't even need to put the Windows Setup DVD in the optical device and waste your time with startup repair which doesn't always work.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

vansloneker wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:34 am Thank you for the replies but you missed the point of my message.
Here is my take on why it makes sense to have Mint the default OS in grub:

1) If my reason for using Linux is for security and virus concerns, I don't want my PC to boot to a vulnerable OS by default.

2) A novice (like me) who is able to install Linux without hands-on help from anybody, is more likely be able to know how to select which OS to run during boot time. Also, I started using Linux because I'm losing my "love" for Windows. I don't want my computer to default to the OS I no longer love.

3) A novice who had to depend on somebody else to install Linux maybe somebody prone to doing stuffs compromising security. You don't want that type of person to use a less secure OS by default.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”