Make a decent power management control

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
rado84
Level 3
Level 3

Make a decent power management control

Post by rado84 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm

I hope some day you will make a decent power and CPU management control. In the last few days the weather in my country became hotter and with this the idle temperature of my CPU went up - 42 degrees Celsius for doing nothing - Audacious with an online radio and Chromium running. If I run a game, it goes above 65 degrees closing more and more to the CPU safe temperature. And that's with a special case with 5 fans for better cooling! So for now looks like I'll be able to use Linux only in the autumn and the early winter. :lol:
So why don't you make a CPU frequency management like on Windows? And make it with GUI, not with the terminal commands. In case you don't understand what I'm talking about, see this picture:

AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 61.0.1 x64, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, kr 4.13.0-45

Lilmothiit
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Make a decent power management control

Post by Lilmothiit » Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 am

I second this idea! A decant battery management tool wouldn't go astray either.

MaoMao2
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Make a decent power management control

Post by MaoMao2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:22 am

Hi,
For CPU limit in UNDERclock games/media player:
i play always in underclock the videogames/mediaplayer with or without emulators and for limit the power of CPU) i use cpufrequtils with command in terminal cpufreq-set....
Don't use the GUI because don't work good anb never work, but with Terminal all work great, pheraps in the command u need to inser the number of cpu in use to limint, and for change all the CPU with 1 single comand look my post in help for write a very easy script.
Tested in My i5 4 core work and now i use the script for very easy setup of all 4 of my cores.
My POST for help and solution:
viewtopic.php?t=274140

With cpu mimiter (cpufrequtils) i think that the energy saver setup of Mint Chinnamond don't is bad, is nice, KDE 18.3 was better and for this i suggest of add the possibility of "Power Off" the CPU after XX minutes and no only "Suspend" (how KDE and Windows).
My POST:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=274626

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”