Suggestions for the Official User Guide(English Version 18)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
bucknema

Suggestions for the Official User Guide(English Version 18)

Post by bucknema »

Hello,

I have a few quick suggestions for the official Linux Mint user guide (English Version 18): https://linuxmint.com/documentation/use ... h_18.0.pdf

I noticed that other languages have gone beyond 18.0 version user guides, and they look more up to date, despite my inability to read them. For example, I noticed the Swedish version for 18.2 seems to cover installing popular software like Audacity, Dropbox and Spotify in an "Efter installationen" section, which the English version doesn't include.

:idea: I think the English user guide should include a similar "After Installation" section, either in addition to or instead of the existing "Tips and Tricks" section at the end of the current user guide. This new "After Installation" section could provide helpful examples of installing popular modern software (similar to the Swedish user guide), and it could also include a few other helpful tips for getting started with the new operating system.

At minimum, the user guide (in any language) should include these two guidelines for new users:
--Set Clock Time on Linux/Windows Dual-Boot Systems: If you're dual-booting Linux Mint and Windows, you may find that changing time in one system affects the other and the two systems can't display the same time. This can be frustrating for new users, so the user guide should include the fix (which is to keep Linux Mint's real time clock (RTC) in local time, same as Windows, by using the command below).
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

--Change Default OS to Boot: After installation, Linux Mint is set to be the default operating system to boot up if no key is pressed within a few seconds on a multi-boot system. You might want to set a different operating system to boot up by default instead and be annoyed that Mint has now taken over your system's boot. Luckily, you can easily switch the default operating system with Grub Customizer. Use the commands below to download Grub Customizer.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

After installation, you can run grub-customizer and adjust the default entry you like to boot up under the "General Settings" tab.

Updating the English user guide could help out new Mint desktop users. Personally for the clock and default boot issues, I would've liked to have solutions "out of the box" with Linux Mint instead of finding the solutions myself online after noticing my system's clock jumping around like crazy and accidentally booting Mint instead of Windows far too many times.

Thanks!
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Suggestions for the Official User Guide(English Version 18)

Post by tovian »

bucknema wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pmLuckily, you can easily switch the default operating system with Grub Customizer.
There have been several discussions about "Grub-Cust0omizer" (you can find them if you search). In the last one Mr. Richter actually joined the discussion to answer questions. I like it, and use it, but some of the Mint-Weenies still avert their eyes and prance away from it. Their choice and who am I to condemn? Nevertheless, I'd be surprised to find it in any of the official "how-to's" on this site.

Anyway, the bottom line for the Official User Guide seems to be, "Real men don't read documentation". :D
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tovian wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 am some of the Mint-Weenies still avert their eyes and prance away from it. Their choice and who am I to condemn?
But you're fine with calling them (or us, rather) weenies? I see. :roll:

bucknema: the most recent version of the user guide is here: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Moem wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:21 am But you're fine with calling them...
That's known as "tongue in cheek". I'm sorry that I am unable to teach folks how to be a "weenie" (I simply don't know how to be one). 8)
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”