Software Manager Suggestion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
lmuserx4849

Software Manager Suggestion

Post by lmuserx4849 »

A user selects the Software Manager and clicks the "Flatpak" button:

1. It is not clear that the Search is global and does not apply just to flatpaks. It would be helpful if the Search Hamburger Menu had an option to only search flatpaks or debs.

2 - If a package is selected, there is nothing that informs the user that the package is a flatpak or deb. Transparency is needed to inform the user if an installation is a flatpak or deb.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Software Manager Suggestion

Post by BenTrabetere »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am 2 - If a package is selected, there is nothing that informs the user that the package is a flatpak or deb. Transparency is needed to inform the user if an installation is a flatpak or deb.
When I perform a Software Manager search and the results contain both the traditional package and a flatpak, the flatpak almost always has (flathub) in the title. Telegram Desktop is one of the few exceptions I have found.

The details section of the package description also identifies the flatpak versions.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Would be nice to inform users about the download size and the installed size on disk. As it is now, this information is missing when it comes to Flatpak apps in Software Manager.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Marziano wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm Would be nice to inform users about the download size and the installed size on disk.
It would also be nice to know the version of the package, who is maintaining the flatpak, and whether it requires outside dependencies.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

BenTrabetere wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 pm
Marziano wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm Would be nice to inform users about the download size and the installed size on disk.
It would also be nice to know the version of the package, who is maintaining the flatpak, and whether it requires outside dependencies.
Right, more or less like the kind of information one gets for packages in Synaptic.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Suggestion for Software Manager : A What is NEW section.
There is an editors pick section and a categories section but a "what's new in the last 6 months" might be nice. and maybe a top 10/20 most used programs list inside the categories section.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

A user selects the Software Manager and clicks the "Flatpak" button:

1. It is not clear that the Search is global and does not apply just to flatpaks. It would be helpful if the Search Hamburger Menu had an option to only search flatpaks or debs.
There is a button right next to the search entry that allows you to limit the search to the current listing. If you chose flatpak and have have that selected it should do that.
Would be nice to inform users about the download size and the installed size on disk. As it is now, this information is missing when it comes to Flatpak apps in Software Manager.
Just looking at a couple, they do show that in the details section when you select the app.
Telegram Desktop is one of the few exceptions I have found.
Even Telegram shows it comes from Flathub in the details section
The version is shown in details for the ones that provide it. We can only show what they give us. As for outside dependencies, Flatpaks by their very nature are containerized and bundle them as part of the app.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

JosephM wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Just looking at a couple, they do show that in the details section when you select the app.
Yes, you are right. They do show now in mintinstall LM 19. They didn't before.
I should have written a note of thanks before. Please regard this as such.

best regards
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

JosephM wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm
The version is shown in details for the ones that provide it. We can only show what they give us.
This information does not appear in my LM-MATE 18.3, nor does it appear using flatpak info.

Code: Select all

$ flatpak info org.kde.krita
Ref: app/org.kde.krita/x86_64/stable
ID: org.kde.krita
Arch: x86_64
Branch: stable
Origin: flathub
Commit: 11b22235414bd9c30eb5cc60817c4f7152c0d235509c90de92d75d0905e1b271
Location: /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.kde.krita/x86_64/stable/11b22235414bd9c30eb5cc60817c4f7152c0d235509c90de92d75d0905e1b271
Installed size: 224.2 MB
Runtime: org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.10
As for outside dependencies, Flatpaks by their very nature are containerized and bundle them as part of the app.
I understand that. However, I have run across flatpaks that will install dependencies. An example is the Krita flatpak. Again, on my system "Installing additional dependencies" is a part of the installation process via Software Manager. These dependencies are not identified in Software Manager, and at no point are you able to inspect those dependencies. Installing from the command line suggest outside dependencies are required and installed.

FWIW, this flatpak is maintained by Krita Foundation. Krita Foundation also maintains an AppImage, and it is 57.7MB smaller than the flatpak.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

This information does not appear in my LM-MATE 18.3, nor does it appear using flatpak info.
I'm am using Mint19 here and I know there were a good bit of improvements to how flatpaks are handled. Could account for the difference.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”