Suggestion for Welcome Screen for ex-Windows users

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kaylux

Suggestion for Welcome Screen for ex-Windows users

Post by kaylux »

Hi - I'm a Linux Newbie, 66 years old and therefore not brought up with computers and one of the growing number of migrants from Windows10.

My suggestion is that the excellent "Welcome Screen" that comes with Mint includes a Do's and Don'ts especially for Windows migrants who are also not very technically minded. This is based on my own experience where I had to do a complete re-install after using "Bleachbit". The idea that an os needs regular cleaning comes from using Windows but many Newbies don't know how to use such programs correctly and ,like myself, might be fooled into believing that they are completely safe.( In fact I've learnt since that such cleaning programs are unnecessary in Linux). Newbies should be discouraged from using such programs until they are more experienced and I think there should be information to that effect, as well as information about other things to avoid, in a "Do's and Don't for Newbies" doc on the Welcome Screen.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon May 28, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to suggestions forum; made subject match description
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Suggestion for Welcome Screen for ex-Windows users

Post by BG405 »

A good suggestion. :) This could include a link to (and/or extracts from) Pjotr's Easy Linux Tips Project.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”