Have a minimal install option + easy way to remove storage hogging non-critical packages

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
cantfind

Have a minimal install option + easy way to remove storage hogging non-critical packages

Post by cantfind »

I've noticed that Linux mint uses around 10GB of disk space after installation, while Ubuntu (not on minimal install) consumes less than 6GB.

As someone with a small SSD, every GB counts, I really like mint better than Ubuntu, but I don't need all the software (Even Ubuntu's installation installs things I don't use), and I need these 4GB of disk space.

I suggest a "lean install" option should be added, where you provide the base must haves, and bring the size of the installation down to about 5-6GB. It won't be a true minimal install (which would make it a hassle to install, since you'd have to manually install a bunch of applications), but it won't take up so much storage space.

Also, a way to determine how much space every application takes would be a welcome addition.

I'd list all installed (optional) packages (don't show essential packages by default or mark them as such), sort them by size, and uninstall them to save some space.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Have a minimal install option + easy way to remove storage hogging non-critical packages

Post by thx-1138 »

...that would be more than great, but somehow i feel that it won't happen...

Mint 18 Mate: roughly 2400 packages installed (more than 200+ were i386...but luckily, newer versions don't ship with such preinstalled).
Now on 18.3, upgrade from 18...around 25 extra programs that i need have been installed...
and with this & that, i've nowadays got it down to 1868 packages (roughly 4gb).

Meaning, I'm afraid that unless the devs go through the trouble of digging into such in the forthcoming 19,
manual 'surgical' trimming will still be the way to go in order to achieve what you want... :wink:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Have a minimal install option + easy way to remove storage hogging non-critical packages

Post by AZgl1800 »

The prices on SSD chips have really dropped in the last two months,
you might want to just look at upgrading the SSD chip instead of being so frugal with the OS.

you can get 250 gB SSD now for under $70

https://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/Su ... ?Tid=11693

and Newegg is not always the cheapest, but they are the most reliable for me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

The prices on SSD chips have really dropped in the last two months,
you might want to just look at upgrading the SSD chip instead of being so frugal with the OS.
I'd agree with you if the added value of these 4GB was noticeable, but I have no idea what takes up so much space. I don't find the Ubuntu installation lacking in features or applications. Why does Mint have to be almost twice as big while not providing any extra value (except for replacing Gnome with Cinnamon/Mate and having some extra codecs, and nicer software installation application).
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...you could have a look at this script here written from a forum member to get a generic idea...

Mint pretty much appears to cover most corner cases out-of-the-box, so many libraries or smaller packages get pulled by default...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”