[request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
rado84
Level 3
Level 3

[request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Post by rado84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:14 pm

I just installed the Beta of Mint 19 Cinnamon (I've been waiting for 19 for over a month) and I gotta say you've done great job so far. But there remains one thing it seems you have missed: when I run an application by clicking its icon, the CPU load spikes up suddenly, rising the temperature from 35-36 deg Celsius (that's the normal temp of my CPU when idling) to 55 which is the temperature (and the CPU fan goes nuts) when I play a heavy game. When the app is fully loaded, the temp goes back to normal. That happens with every single application, which makes me think the cause of that is in the DE itself.
Before the release of 19 I did some tests with DEs not only with Mint but with other distroes as well. The result from those tests is that KDE is the only DE that doesn't put such a load on the CPU when launching an application. However, KDE has other very annoying bugs, so I went back to Cinnamon as it being the most stable DE.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 61.0.1 x64, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, kr 4.13.0-45

mnurolcay
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Post by mnurolcay » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:03 pm

I have same issue. After lots of search found that cpu allways working with max frequency.
install cpufreqd and check with cpufreq-info what is min/max freq.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Same here. If this was fixed it would be a major improvement.

mnurolcay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mnurolcay » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I have installed pstate-frequency to change cpu governors. It's fine now.

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm

this could be because every application has a StartupNotify=true in .desktop icon which is nice if you want a bouncing icon in KDE but useless in any other desktop this may fix it, should change any instance of true to false.

fix /usr/share/applications/

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/StartupNotify=true/StartupNotify=false/g' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
fix .local/share/applications/

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/StartupNotify=true/StartupNotify=false/g' $HOME/.local/share/applications/*.desktop
(this excludes the kde4 or screensaver folders in /usr/share/applications/

if this isn't the issue check .xsession-errors

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Request of OP: could you in fact try trytip's above's suggestion? Since that would be rather interesting...

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”