[request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
rado84

[request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Post by rado84 »

I just installed the Beta of Mint 19 Cinnamon (I've been waiting for 19 for over a month) and I gotta say you've done great job so far. But there remains one thing it seems you have missed: when I run an application by clicking its icon, the CPU load spikes up suddenly, rising the temperature from 35-36 deg Celsius (that's the normal temp of my CPU when idling) to 55 which is the temperature (and the CPU fan goes nuts) when I play a heavy game. When the app is fully loaded, the temp goes back to normal. That happens with every single application, which makes me think the cause of that is in the DE itself.
Before the release of 19 I did some tests with DEs not only with Mint but with other distroes as well. The result from those tests is that KDE is the only DE that doesn't put such a load on the CPU when launching an application. However, KDE has other very annoying bugs, so I went back to Cinnamon as it being the most stable DE.
mnurolcay

Re: [request] Fix the sudden CPU load when opening an app

Post by mnurolcay »

I have same issue. After lots of search found that cpu allways working with max frequency.
install cpufreqd and check with cpufreq-info what is min/max freq.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Same here. If this was fixed it would be a major improvement.
mnurolcay

Post by mnurolcay »

I have installed pstate-frequency to change cpu governors. It's fine now.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this could be because every application has a StartupNotify=true in .desktop icon which is nice if you want a bouncing icon in KDE but useless in any other desktop this may fix it, should change any instance of true to false.

fix /usr/share/applications/

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/StartupNotify=true/StartupNotify=false/g' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
fix .local/share/applications/

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/StartupNotify=true/StartupNotify=false/g' $HOME/.local/share/applications/*.desktop
(this excludes the kde4 or screensaver folders in /usr/share/applications/

if this isn't the issue check .xsession-errors
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Request of OP: could you in fact try trytip's above's suggestion? Since that would be rather interesting...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”