Nemo - Windowed File Selection

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Questions1010

Nemo - Windowed File Selection

Post by Questions1010 »

(I apologize if this is not the right place to mention something about Nemo file explorer)
When in the file view mode called "Compact View" you are able to select multiple files by clicking and holding down the left button on your mouse and then dragging to create a selection window highlight of multiple files.
This feature is not available in the "List View" which may be nice to have there as well.

This is something that Windows OS offers which is why I am used to it / mentioning it, Linux users may not find this as useful?
I can see why this is not currently available, because in "List View" in Linux Mint the selection of a single file happens automatically when left clicking on anywhere in the file / folder row. In Windows if you select the file / folder by its name then you can drag that single item, but the blank space to the right of the file / folder names allows you to left mouse click and drag a selection window as I am requesting.

I am aware that you can use keyboard buttons to select files in various ways, but this provides a mouse based way to select multiple files if needed.
Just thought I would mention it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Nemo - Windowed File Selection

Post by xenopeek »

Please always test with latest version before submitting feature requests. Testing on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, the drag to select also works in list view.

As noted on your other issues, this forum isn't for ideas about improving software. You would post feature requests for Nemo on https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues, after checking with the latest version and checking no open or closed issues exist that match or relate to your idea.

In any case, is sounds like you should upgrade to Linux Mint 19 :mrgreen:
Questions1010

Post by Questions1010 »

@xenopeek
Thank you very much for being patient with me and responding to each one of my posts.
I fully understand that you are right that it is best to test things on the latest version, I have just been holding off from installing Linux Mint 19 until it is out of beta mode.
Once the beta testing is complete, I will give all these suggestions I mentioned a try in the new version of Mint.

Thank you again
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The ability to lasso select in the nemo list view is new in Mint 19.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”