Per-application recent files

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
thebigggestginge

Per-application recent files

Post by thebigggestginge »

Dear devs,

Please consider per-application recent files. As per my earlier post asking about this, there are certain formats, and certain applications for which I definitely do not want my recent files popping up in the global recent files menu. I don't run my home computer like an office, and other people use it.

Most obviously, if I've been watching naughty videos, I don't want family members coming across those. But, in fact, why would I want *any* video to be in recent files? You watch the film and then you don't watch it again. It's not useful to have the last two documents I worked on yesterday and then 10 videos I watched last night. It *would* be useful to have a list of my 10 most recent documents. In checking just now, the recent files list was full up with a bunch of fonts I just installed. The circumstances in which I would want them to be saved in such a list are very limited in comparison with word processor documents.

Anyway, cheers for the consideration. I hope this can go into 19.2.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Per-application recent files

Post by catweazel »

thebigggestginge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 am Please consider per-application recent files.
The devs don't maintain the applications in the ubuntu repositories. You need to take your issue up with the devs of the application that's bothering you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you don't want any recent files popping up in the global recent files menu.,
and you are using Firefox or another web browser - - then just Delete All History ..

in Firefox - - History - Clear Recent History or use - Ctrl + Shift + Del keys
& this will erase where you've been.
8)

and at the Bottom of that recent files list - click on the Clear Icon . .
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

thebigggestginge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 amYou watch the film and then you don't watch it again.
Obviously not a Princess Bride, Harry Potter, or Rocky Horror Picture Show fan.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Uhm this seems more like a file manager and/or menu applet issue than a app issue... atm the "recent" is everything what the OP wants is to somehow limit what shows. The win7 way of having both a global recent list and with apps pinned (or recent) to the start menu having their own lists (if the app itself maintains recent list) is probably what he's driving at. Since nemo (I think) for example is mostly a mint project atm this is easily within the grasp of the mint team where if nothing else the menu applet reads the recent lists of either specific common media/office apps or provides exclusions or even different types of recent lists in its options.... all you actually have to do is tweak the file manager and applet integration which is something suited to distro devs.

examples
http://www.imgz.co.za/images/2018/07/02/global.png
http://www.imgz.co.za/images/2018/07/02/word.png

Basically everything that maintains a recent list shows seperately this way in the menu if it lands there.....personally this type of menu works best for me and why M$ decided to throw it away for the ghastly win10 menu is beyond me. When it comes to having a history that embarrasses you though that's your own personal problem mate.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”