Feature suggestion for pre-installed file managers: Also show file size in bytes.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
TL7

Feature suggestion for pre-installed file managers: Also show file size in bytes.

Post by TL7 »

I would like the pre-installed Linux file managers such as Caja, Nemo, Thunar, Natolious to show not just the human readable size (e.g. 14,8 GB), but also the exact number of bytes (e.g. 29719462841 B). This simplifies knowing whether files have been copied completely, because in the past, I have not checked the exact numbers of bytes, just to find out, that MTP (which Windows handles terribly bad) ditched a few files randomly and unexplainably.

Linux is originally for power users, and showing the file size in bytes would not sacrifice any user friendliness for minimalists (who should consider getting iOS X), but can make it easier to see, whether files have been transferred properly.
Hashsums would also compare data integrity, however they do only work for individual files, not for a folder with thousands of files, because the sorting is unspecified.

Of course, I can use the command line, but it is less convenient and costs time.

“Linux is not Windows” does not change the fact that seeing the exact number of bytes next to the human readable format would be useful.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Feature suggestion for pre-installed file managers: Also show file size in bytes.

Post by catweazel »

TL7 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 am I would like the pre-installed Linux file managers such as Caja, Nemo, Thunar, Natolious to show not just the human readable size (e.g. 14,8 GB), but also the exact number of bytes (e.g. 29719462841 B). This simplifies knowing whether files have been copied completely, because in the past, I have not checked the exact numbers of bytes, just to find out, that MTP (which Windows handles terribly bad) ditched a few files randomly and unexplainably.

Linux is originally for power users, and showing the file size in bytes would not sacrifice any user friendliness for minimalists (who should consider getting iOS X), but can make it easier to see, whether files have been transferred properly.
Hashsums would also compare data integrity, however they do only work for individual files, not for a folder with thousands of files, because the sorting is unspecified.

Of course, I can use the command line, but it is less convenient and costs time.

“Linux is not Windows” does not change the fact that seeing the exact number of bytes next to the human readable format would be useful.
man ls <- in a terminal.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
TL7

Re: Feature suggestion for pre-installed file managers: Also show file size in bytes.

Post by TL7 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 am
TL7 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 am I would like the pre-installed Linux file managers such as Caja, Nemo, Thunar, Natolious to show not just the human readable size (e.g. 14,8 GB), but also the exact number of bytes (e.g. 29719462841 B). This simplifies knowing whether files have been copied completely, because in the past, I have not checked the exact numbers of bytes, just to find out, that MTP (which Windows handles terribly bad) ditched a few files randomly and unexplainably.

man ls <- in a terminal.
I already knew that.
But I still think that the exact file size should be implemented in the properties window.

Of course, the terminal is a professional way, but the properties window is just two clicks away. This saves time. And time is abundant nowhere. The latter way is also by far more convenient, even for experienced users.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

TL7 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 pmBut I still think that the exact file size should be implemented in the properties window.
I agree. It's shown for single files, there's no reason at all to have a different UI when selecting multiple files.

That said, this is the Linux Mint support forum. Suggestions about improving specific software packages with the distribution should be directed to the respective developers. This is not the place.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

In the future, could you please post suggestions in the "Suggestions & New Ideas" section of the forum?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Now moved. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
defconx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by defconx »

I am not sure if support for a feature matters here, but if so, then +1

Used to be so easy to see the length in bytes, very useful for podcast XML file-length requirements.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

defconx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:10 pm I am not sure if support for a feature matters here, but if so, then +1

Used to be so easy to see the length in bytes, very useful for podcast XML file-length requirements.

Old posts age - and a look at the preferences never hurts ...

bytes.png
Binary.png
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Old posts age - and a look at the preferences never hurts ...
+1
Time to lock the thread?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”