Forum for discussion of Beta releases

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
MintBean

Forum for discussion of Beta releases

Post by MintBean »

As I understand it, the advice from the Mint team is to post comments regarding beta releases in the relevant blog post. Nonetheless, the reality on the ground is that there are quite a volume of questions regarding the betas in the forums. Given this, how about a specific forum to keep those posts together and avoid potentially confusing newbies with information that is not relevant to them?
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Forum for discussion of Beta releases

Post by mediclaser »

Isn't it that we are encouraged to post bug reports to the comment section of the blog post, instead of the forum section? All other discussions on the beta release in the forum section?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MintBean wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm As I understand it, the advice from the Mint team is to post comments regarding beta releases in the relevant blog post. Nonetheless, the reality on the ground is that there are quite a volume of questions regarding the betas in the forums. Given this, how about a specific forum to keep those posts together and avoid potentially confusing newbies with information that is not relevant to them?
I like the idea, but what looks like madness to me with the Mint Blog and posting bugs, evidently works well for Clem and his team :)
If we had a section here for general questions regarding Mint 19 beta, we would likely also get bugs reported here, and they might be missed on the Mint Blog.
It looks like the Betas are nearly done, so there will be posts here soon about issues with Mint 19.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm ...the Betas are nearly done, so there will be posts here soon about issues with Mint 19.
This! :mrgreen:

Betas are short lived and need no "support". They should be avoided by the inexperienced (because they are not really supported! DUH!) And experienced users don't need support just a place to report problems. Just MHO.

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm It looks like the Betas are nearly done, so there will be posts here soon about issues with Mint 19.
They are testing the finals
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Bolle1961 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:45 pm They are testing the finals
Indeed!!! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Betas are short lived and need no "support". They should be avoided by the inexperienced (because they are not really supported! DUH!) And experienced users don't need support just a place to report problems. Just MHO.
+1
Not just mho, but in fact. Truthfully I've had fun with the beta, reported some glitches, learned a lot, and enjoyed it all.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Reorx wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 pm They should be avoided by the inexperienced (because they are not really supported! DUH!)
Tell that to the inexperienced. My view is that the mods should be onto this. Beta posts just gack up the forums.
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The Moderation Team is onto it . .
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm As I understand it, the advice from the Mint team is to post comments regarding beta releases in the relevant blog post. Nonetheless, the reality on the ground is that there are quite a volume of questions regarding the betas in the forums. Given this, how about a specific forum to keep those posts together and avoid potentially confusing newbies with information that is not relevant to them?

Apart from perhaps @Joseph, the devs don't deign to stoop so low as to even occasionally grace us with their presence. It's sad because I think the visibility of devs is important. It's little wonder they ask for comments and feedback to go on the blog; the blog doesn't require their godly interaction with us menial plebs.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Apart from perhaps @Joseph, the devs don't deign to stoop so low as to even occasionally grace us with their presence. It's sad because I think the visibility of devs is important. It's little wonder they ask for comments and feedback to go on the blog; the blog doesn't require their godly interaction with us menial plebs.
There is actually a pretty good reason for this. Most all of the devs work on Mint in their spare time which they have limited amounts of. I can tell you from personal experience that the forums can be a huge time sink :D It's easy to get distracted here. You also have to remember that we have other places to pay attention to as well. We have an internal slack channel, a slack channel for regular contributors who aren't part of the core team to contact us and get direct answers, the linux mint irc channels, github, etc. You can only pay attention to so many. The others are also more focused on things relevant to development. While the forums are a great place for users to get help, troubleshoot, and chat with other users, things relevant to the devs can be few and far between.

I would like to point out that when some sort of major issue occurs it normally comes up here pretty quick. Mods like xenopeek will usually ask all the right questions and get the proper info and then let us know about it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Reorx wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Yes - it's Looking Good
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Pierre wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 am
Reorx wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Yes - it's Looking Good
8)
64 bit versions Approved for Stable release! :mrgreen:
With a little luck, they'll be up on the mirrors tomorrow!
Hey Ninteen!

Image Image Image
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

And 32 bits are also approved for stable
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Bolle1961 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm And 32 bits are also approved for stable
64 & 32 bit versions up on the home mirror and a few USA mirrors now... coming to a mirror near you soon...
A HUGE "Thank You" to the whole Mint Dev Team - Nicely Done good Sirs and Madams!!! :mrgreen:
The Official Announcement can't be far off...

Image Image Image
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Where are the usa mirrors? Time for some installs :)
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Insist we don't need a forum for beta discussion.
Hijack thread for general beta discussion.
How ironic.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I think a Beta section for Mint users would be useful for those of us who like to test such & discuss our experiences with other members, as long as it's made clear that bug reports will probably be missed by the devs; it would serve to keep Beta discussions out of the main Forum & keep things cleaner. It would (presumably) also make it easier for the Mods to delete redundant threads once final releases are out.

BTW there are some posts on here from Clem himself. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”