Suggestion - Opening a File Explorer after a Save

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
John_Beatty

Suggestion - Opening a File Explorer after a Save

Post by John_Beatty »

I often have several applications (programs) open. If I save a piece of work, the application opens a file Save dialogue for me and allows me to browse to a suitable folder. After the save, I often find myself needing to open a file browser (I use Nemo) to inspect the files in that folder. Would there be some way for Nemo to quickly open the folder to which I last navigated in a save (or Open) dialogue? A sort of 'last save in' button.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Suggestion - Opening a File Explorer after a Save

Post by catweazel »

John_Beatty wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm I often have several applications (programs) open. If I save a piece of work, the application opens a file Save dialogue for me and allows me to browse to a suitable folder. After the save, I often find myself needing to open a file browser (I use Nemo) to inspect the files in that folder. Would there be some way for Nemo to quickly open the folder to which I last navigated in a save (or Open) dialogue? A sort of 'last save in' button.

This would cause major confusion. It's counter-intuitive.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I'm against the suggestion to have this is a general feature, but it could be created as an extension for the file manager without too much trouble. You'd probably have to create that yourself though, I don't see anybody else needing this.

In the meantime: I don't quite understand your use case but if your application is using the standard gtk dialog then there is a "Recent" option to the left, then you can right click any of your recent files to "Visit" them, which shows the folder they reside in, but still in the file open dialog. If that's not already enough for your needs and you actually want it open in a file browser, then you can just click on the parent folder above, then right click the folder you want to open and select "Open With File Manager".

Alternatively you can just copy the file path when doing the first right click and paste that into the file browser directly, removing the filename from the end.

Hope that helps.
John_Beatty

Post by John_Beatty »

Thank you for your suggestions.

The 'Recently Used' left-hand menu item of the gtk 'save' dialog is there to select a folder recently used. What I am effectively looking for is a 'Recently Used' item in the 'Places' sidebar of Nemo.

In the gtk 'Save' dialogue I am unable effect an action by right-clicking any of the file path buttons - is this what you meant?

I could copy and paste the path, just hoping to reduce keystrokes.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

John_Beatty wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 pm In the gtk 'Save' dialogue I am unable effect an action by right-clicking any of the file path buttons - is this what you meant?

I could copy and paste the path, just hoping to reduce keystrokes.
I meant the open dialog, that's the one with the Recent list.
As I said, I don't understand your use case, but that's the closest exhisting behaviour to what you described that I'm aware of.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”