Donate CPU time w/Bitcoin mining

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Forn
Level 1
Level 1

Donate CPU time w/Bitcoin mining

Post by Forn »

Hello all,

I've had an idea in the back of my mind for a while now that I'd like your valuable feedback on. If this has been suggested previously, my apologies, I did perform a brief search of the forums and didn't find any related posts.

We all know donations are an important way to support the Linux Mint project and I'm amazed at the generosity of so many people. I haven't been able to donate as much I'd like to and unfortunately, living paycheck to paycheck limits my ability sometimes but I still plan to donate as much as I can afford when I can. I really appreciate all the great work Clem, other devs and the LM community put into making such a great operating system.

A while back I came across this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/b ... er-mining/ Could the Linux Mint Project do something similar to help raise funds? Speaking for myself, I would have no problem at all donating some CPU time to help support the project. I'm not sure how successful this has been for charities like UNICEF but apparently they're still doing it and have 18,541 people donating.

I'm sure there are probably reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea but just thought I'd suggest it to see what you all say.

Cheers and thank you all!

-Forn
Less > More
MintBean

Re: Donate CPU time w/Bitcoin mining

Post by MintBean »

Just send them the value of the electricity you would have used. It will be more lucrative for them.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Forn,

it was suggested some time ago in the “protein folding” thread, but nothing came of the idea.

If you would like to contribute some spare cpu cycles or some graphic card cycles, then you could join the Linux Mint folding team. Not only would you be contributing to a worthwhile cause, but you would help raise the Linux Mint profile.

Just search the forum for protein folding if you are interested.

Best regards keith
Forn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forn »

Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm reading up on that project now. :)

-Forn
Less > More
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Our drive is is finding cures,as well as the promotion of mint. We also keep the spirit of linux by being volunteers as well. There are o'plenty of miners using nix. Many of them using mint. Hopefully they support the distros they are using.

If you have questions, see my sig.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”