Much better alternatives to Timeshift

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

Much better alternatives to Timeshift

Post by patwwh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 am

I am happy that Linux Mint 19 has integrated my beloved system restore solution, Timeshift, in it.
However, actually there is actually a much more complete solution, SystemBack, which should be considered by the team in its earlier research and consideration. SystemBack doesn't only provide System snapshot and restore, but also provide full backup function (like Back-In-Time), creating live system image (like Mondo-Rescue), restore option in Boot screen (Like Opensuse' Snapper), and allowing excluding specified folders. The problem is that its developer has stopped developing this mature project since 2016. But this problem also reflect a chance for discussion, since no one would like to see the real death of his baby.

https://launchpad.net/systemback
https://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Much better alternatives to Timeshift

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:04 am

patwwh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 am
The problem is that its developer has stopped developing this mature project since 2016.
That sounds like a major problem indeed. :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 am

patwwh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 am
The problem is that its developer has stopped developing this mature project since 2016.
While the features you list make it sound interesting, you can imagine why it wouldn't have passed consideration.

Timeshift on the other hand is actively developed and maintained by Tony George. During the development cycle of Linux Mint 18.3 (the first release that came with Timeshift) the Linux Mint developers worked closely with him on some points of improvement and integration.

patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patwwh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 am

Unless the team has tried, it has no harm and no cost just to try asking that developer for cooperation.
Cost = 0
Gain = Possible incorporate a great and mature project freely

Although I am newbie here, but sorry to say that I really wonder why this post will receive a conservative "No" so easily.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 am

patwwh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 am
Although I am newbie here, but sorry to say that I really wonder why this post will receive a conservative "No" so easily.
Well, I really wonder why a newbie is so convinced that the small Mint dev team should be put to work on a dead and abandoned application, while the Mint devs have more than enough to do as it is, and while there's already a roughly similar application in place? :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

patwwh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patwwh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 am

No, in fact, I highly appreciate the effort of Mint's team.
(I am sorry I still don't know if Pjotr & xenopeek are Mint's team member or not. I just express my honest wording.)

Although I believe SystemBack can make Mint become much stronger for personal and production usage, I do not insist my suggested idea actually. If you reply a thoughful reasons, I won't have any questions. What actually wonder me is the conservative and easy of giving up to a triable & beneficial idea. It will somehow block the growth of Mint. (My expression is clear enough. I think I stop here.)

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”