Offline Help

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ssspace

Offline Help

Post by ssspace »

If you have connection/wifi issues you won't be able to access documentation or any kind of help. The user should be able to get help offline too.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Offline Help

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ssspace.

Have you tried the "Help" menus which are available in most graphical applications, before posting your suggestion?
Have you tried the "Help" menu item under [Menu] => Accessories, before posting your suggestion?
Have you tried the man terminal command, before posting your suggestion?

Even here on my old Linux Mint 17.1, quite a few applications bring along helpfiles, which have been installed on my local disk together with these applications.
[Menu] => Accessories => Help invokes the "Linux Mint 17 User Guide" files.

For terminal commands there are the manpages, which at the terminal prompt can be invoked by executing man <name of command> Replace <name of command> by the name of the terminal command, for which you want to read the locally stored manpages.

Seems someone fulfilled your wish, years before you posted it here.

Of course, it is not possible to have a copy of everything which can be found online on the local disk as well.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm Hello, ssspace.

Have you tried the "Help" menus which are available in most graphical applications, before posting your suggestion?
Have you tried the "Help" menu item under [Menu] => Accessories, before posting your suggestion?
Have you tried the man terminal command, before posting your suggestion?

Even here on my old Linux Mint 17.1, quite a few applications bring along helpfiles, which have been installed on my local disk together with these applications.
[Menu] => Accessories => Help invokes the "Linux Mint 17 User Guide" files.

For terminal commands there are the manpages, which at the terminal prompt can be invoked by executing man <name of command> Replace <name of command> by the name of the terminal command, for which you want to read the locally stored manpages.

Seems someone fulfilled your wish, years before you posted it here.

Of course, it is not possible to have a copy of everything which can be found online on the local disk as well.

Regards,
Karl
There's no such thing in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19, just the Welcome Screen, a Documentation link and you need a working connection to access the webpage. And opening a terminal to read man pages is far from beginner friendly, few people know that this exists and how to use them.

If you have connection/wifi issues you are basically alone and will have to figure things out or you will need a smartphone/another computer with internet access to access documentation/forums/IRC and fix the problem or get directions of what to do.

One idea is to include the documentation files inside the ISOS, all languages, I believe it's mostly text so it probably won't use too much space.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Ssspace,

I will repeat my questions, 2 of which you have not answered at all:
  • "Have you tried the "Help" menus which are available in most graphical applications?"
    I guess the answer is no. You have not even tried in a single application, like e.g. in "System Monitor" or in "Synaptic Package Manager".
  • "Have you tried the "Help" menu item under [Menu] => Accessories?"
    I guess the answer is no. You have not even tried to locate the "Help" launcher in the application menu.
  • "Have you tried the man terminal command?"
    I guess the answer is no. The manpages for terminal commands are definitely available on your local disk. Refusing to use them, because it requires typing two words, man command, e.g. man chmod in order to read the chmod helpfile, this is downright silly.
By the way, the "UserGuide" item in the Welcome Screen will invoke the same local file as the "Help" launcher in the application menu, the "Linux int User Guide".
Sorry, if you refuse to use the locally available helpfiles, then there is nothing which can be done about it.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm Ssspace,

I will repeat my questions, 2 of which you have not answered at all:
  • "Have you tried the "Help" menus which are available in most graphical applications?"
    I guess the answer is no. You have not even tried in a single application, like e.g. in "System Monitor" or in "Synaptic Package Manager".
  • "Have you tried the "Help" menu item under [Menu] => Accessories?"
    I guess the answer is no. You have not even tried to locate the "Help" launcher in the application menu.
  • "Have you tried the man terminal command?"
    I guess the answer is no. The manpages for terminal commands are definitely available on your local disk. Refusing to use them, because it requires typing two words, man command, e.g. man chmod in order to read the chmod helpfile, this is downright silly.
Sorry, if you refuse to use the locally available helpfiles, then there is nothing which can be done about it.

Karl
- There's no Help menu available when you click the WiFi configurations
- There's no Help item in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19
- Man pages are for advanced users, a beginner have no idea how this works

If anyone want to simulate this, someday install Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 and unplug your internet and try to get informations about how to get connection/wireless working again somewhere, but without reading the man pages(this is considered advanced), beginners/end-users that install Linux Mint will probably have no idea what to do.

That's why I'm talking about offline documentation, or offline wiki.
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

Update: Just found the issue, 'Help' item is ticked off in the menu editor, it's hidden.

I don't know if installing Cinnamenu applet made the 'Help' disappear, or the default menu is hiding the 'Help' item by default, both are bad possibilities, it would be nice if someone that made a fresh install of LM 19 could tell if there is a 'Help' in the menu, if so, it was the Cinnamenu instalation that made 'Help' disappear... if not, there's no 'Help' item and this should be fixed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, ssspace.

With respect to the applications "Network" and "Network connections", there is no Help => Content available at all. (Not here on Mint 17.1 either)
I suspect you may find more system configuration applications which come without local helpfiles.

But finding that indeed the network configuration application(s) come without a local helpfile is not sufficient to state there were no local helpfiles at all.

By the way, if you have got no network connectivity on a computer, it is not totally unlikely that you will need a second computer which can connect to the internet in order to retrieve the needed information and maybe the needed software, too, in order to fix the issue on the problem machine. This is not only true on Linux Mint, but also on Windows. Local Windows helpfiles have frequently proven to provide very basic information only, insufficient to troubleshoot more complicated cases.

Anyway, we are not talking about Windows, but about Linux Mint. With respect to network configuration, I admit a helpfile, explaining the network basics is absent. It would be really helpful, if it were present.

As is so often the case, the reason for the absence of descent and up-to-date helpfile, will be human resources. Writing good helpfiles takes time. Translating them to various languages takes even more time and more people who are willing to spend their time on it.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ssspace wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:49 pm- Man pages are for advanced users, a beginner have no idea how this works
Well then, you are now officially an advanced user, since you now know how man pages work.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Help/yelp is broken in Mint Cinnamon 19....as-well as being hidden by default it's not got the Mint Specific landing page that 18.3 had.

None of these Mint specific packages have working 'help' menu entries in 19.

Nemo - launches browser to online documentation page in 18.3 - fails in 19
Xed - launches relevant page in yelp on 18.3, fails in 19 - (the page is there)
Pix - launches relevant page in yelp on 18.3, fails in 19 - (the page is there)
Xreader - launches relevant page in yelp on 18.3, fails in 19 - (the page is there)
Terminal - launches relevant page in yelp on 18.3, fails in 19 - (the page is there)

Update manager - works in both!

There may be more......
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 am None of these Mint specific packages have working 'help' menu entries.

Nemo
Xed
Pix
Xreader
Terminal
This is real strange as Help > Contents works for me in Xed, Pix, Xreader and Terminal with network disconnected. On a fresh Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon install.

Nemo doesn't have help files so yelp takes you to the Linux Mint documentation page for that (as it does for any other program that does have a help menu but doesn't actually have help files).

You can press Alt+F2 and run the command yelp (or start it from Terminal) you can see all available locally installed help files. You can find the files in /usr/share/help/C/.

There's not even the option that you uninstalled something, because the help files come from the *-common packages and uninstalling those would uninstall the programs themselves as well.

Is your system perhaps not installed in English? We'll have to find what you and OP have in common that could cause this.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Yep something strange is going on.

I've checked Mate 19 and XFCE 19 which I've got in a pretty much virgin state in VBox - the menu help entries work fine there.

Both my main Cinnamon 19 (beta install originally) and a Vbox Cinnamon 19 stable install have the same problem. Both of those have had a variety of tweaks applied and some setting/config backed up from a Mint 18.3 install. In a Cinnamon 19 live session the menu help entries work fine. The other user account on my main Cinnamon 19 works fine..... :roll: so I've broken something.

The error dialog is "There was an Error displaying the help. The specified location is not supported"

All systems are in English UK and if yelp is launched manually the relevant pages are present and correct.

I'll see if I can spot the difference between my user account and the other one on my main system to track down the issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK fixed.

Unchecking Help in menu editor and deleting ~/.local/share/applications/yelp.desktop corrects the issue with the menu help buttons.

The action of checking Help in menu-editor which creates that desktop file breaks the menu help buttons.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Start wondering, whether this thread, which has been started in "Suggestions & New Ideas", should not be moved to "Software & applications".
Seems there might be a real problem affecting the offline help in Mint 19?
If so, then solving this issue is not really a "new idea", is it?
Lifeline
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I can display the Help entry in the Cinnamon 19 Menu whilst retaining correctly working application menu help function by copying /usr/share/applications/mint-user-guide.desktop from an 18.3 install to either ~/.local/share/applications or /usr/share/applications on the 19 install.

I can break the application menu help functions in 18.3 by enabling the 'Help' menu entry associated with the yelp.desktop file.....

Right what I supposed to be doing this morning.... :roll: :)

mint-user-guide.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Help
Comment=Launch help browser
Exec=yelp %u
Icon=help-browser
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Core;Documentation;Utility;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/ghelp;x-scheme-handler/help;x-scheme-handler/info;x-scheme-handler/man;
Keywords=help;guide;
Name[am]=መረጃ
Name[ar]=مساعدة
Name[as]=সাহায্য
Name[ast]=Ayuda
Name[az]=Yardım
Name[az_IR]=Yardım
Name[be]=Дапамога
Name[be@latin]=Dapamoha
Name[bg]=Помощ
Name[bg_BG]=Помощ
Name[bn]=সাহায্য
Name[bn_IN]=সাহায্য
Name[br]=Skoazell
Name[bs]=Pomoć
Name[ca]=Ajuda
Name[ca@valencia]=Ajuda
Name[ca_ES@valencia]=Ajuda
Name[cs]=Nápověda
Name[cs_CZ]=Nápověda
Name[cy]=Cymorth
Name[da]=Hjælp
Name[da_DK]=Hjælp
Name[de]=Hilfe
Name[de_DE]=Hilfe
Name[dz]=གྲོགས་རམ།
Name[el]=Βοήθεια
Name[en@shaw]=𐑣𐑧𐑤𐑐
Name[eo]=Helpo
Name[es]=Ayuda
Name[es_AR]=Ayuda
Name[es_CL]=Ayuda
Name[es_CO]=Ayuda
Name[es_CR]=Ayuda
Name[es_DO]=Ayuda
Name[es_EC]=Ayuda
Name[es_ES]=Ayuda
Name[es_GT]=Ayuda
Name[es_HN]=Ayuda
Name[es_MX]=Ayuda
Name[es_NI]=Ayuda
Name[es_PA]=Ayuda
Name[es_PE]=Ayuda
Name[es_PR]=Ayuda
Name[es_SV]=Ayuda
Name[es_UY]=Ayuda
Name[es_VE]=Ayuda
Name[et]=Abi
Name[et_EE]=Abi
Name[eu]=Laguntza
Name[eu_ES]=Laguntza
Name[fa]=راهنما
Name[fa_AF]=راهنما
Name[fa_IR]=راهنما
Name[fi]=Ohje
Name[fi_FI]=Ohje
Name[fr]=Aide
Name[fur]=Jutori
Name[ga]=Cabhair
Name[gl]=Axuda
Name[gl_ES]=Axuda
Name[gu]=મદદ
Name[he]=עזרה
Name[he_IL]=עזרה
Name[hi]=मदद
Name[hr]=Pomoć
Name[hu]=Súgó
Name[hu_HU]=Súgó
Name[hy]=Ձեռնարկ
Name[id]=Bantuan
Name[id_ID]=Bantuan
Name[it]=Aiuto
Name[ja]=ヘルプ
Name[ja_JP]=ヘルプ
Name[ka]=დახმარება
Name[kk]=Көмек
Name[km]=ជំនួយ
Name[km_KH]=ជំនួយ
Name[kn]=ನೆರವು
Name[ko]=도움말
Name[ko_KR]=도움말
Name[ku]=Alîkarî
Name[lt]=Pagalba
Name[lt_LT]=Pagalba
Name[lv]=Palīdzība
Name[lv_LV]=Palīdzība
Name[mai]=मद्दति 
Name[mg]=Tor-làlana
Name[mk]=Помош
Name[mk_MK]=Помош
Name[ml]=സഹായം
Name[mn]=Тусламж
Name[mr]=मदत
Name[ms]=Bantuan
Name[nb]=Hjelp
Name[nb_NO]=Hjelp
Name[nds]=Hölp
Name[ne]=मद्दत
Name[nl]=Hulp
Name[nl_NL]=Hulp
Name[nn]=Hjelp
Name[nn_NO]=Hjelp
Name[oc]=Ajuda
Name[or]=ସହାୟତା
Name[pa]=ਮੱਦਦ
Name[pl]=Pomoc
Name[pl_PL]=Pomoc
Name[ps]=مرسته
Name[pt]=Ajuda
Name[pt_BR]=Ajuda
Name[pt_PT]=Ajuda
Name[ro]=Ajutor
Name[ro_RO]=Ajutor
Name[ru]=Справка
Name[rw]=Ifashayobora
Name[si]=උදව්
Name[sk]=Pomocník
Name[sk_SK]=Pomocník
Name[sl]=Pomoč
Name[sl_SI]=Pomoč
Name[sq]=Ndihmë
Name[sr]=Помоћ
Name[sr@Latn]=Pomoć
Name[sr@ije]=Помоћ
Name[sr@latin]=Pomoć
Name[sv]=Hjälp
Name[ta]=உதவி
Name[ta_LK]=உதவி
Name[te]=సహాయం
Name[th]=ระบบช่วยเหลือ
Name[th_TH]=ระบบช่วยเหลือ
Name[tr]=Yardım
Name[ug]=ياردەم
Name[uk]=Довідка
Name[uk_UA]=Довідка
Name[vi]=Trợ giúp
Name[vi_VN]=Trợ giúp
Name[wa]=Aidance
Name[xh]=uNcedo
Name[zh_CN]=帮助
Name[zh_HK]=求助
Name[zh_TW]=求助
Comment[ar]=ابدأ متصفّح المساعدة
Comment[as]=সহায়িকা প্ৰদৰ্শক ব্ৰাউজাৰ চালু কৰো
Comment[ast]=Llanzar el visor d'ayuda
Comment[az]=Yardım aəyyahını başlat
Comment[az_IR]=Yardım aəyyahını başlat
Comment[be]=Запуск аглядальніка даведкі
Comment[be@latin]=Uruchom hartač dapamohi
Comment[bg]=Стартиране на програмата за помощ
Comment[bg_BG]=Стартиране на програмата за помощ
Comment[bn]=সহায়িকা প্রদর্শক ব্রাউজার চালু করুন
Comment[bn_IN]=সহায়িকা প্রদর্শক ব্রাউজার চালু করো
Comment[bs]=Pokreni preglednik pomoći
Comment[ca]=Executa el navegador de l'ajuda
Comment[ca@valencia]=Executa el navegador de l'ajuda
Comment[ca_ES@valencia]=Executa el navegador de l'ajuda
Comment[crh]=Yardım kezicisini fırlat
Comment[cs]=Spustit prohlížeč nápovědy
Comment[cs_CZ]=Spustit prohlížeč nápovědy
Comment[cy]=Lansio'r porwr cymorth
Comment[da]=Start hjælpefremviser
Comment[da_DK]=Start hjælpefremviser
Comment[de]=Hilfe-Browser starten
Comment[de_DE]=Hilfe-Browser starten
Comment[dz]=བརའུ་ཟར་གྲོགས་རམ་ གསར་བཙུགས་འབད།
Comment[el]=Εκκίνηση περιηγητή βοήθειας
Comment[en@shaw]=𐑤𐑷𐑯𐑗 𐑣𐑧𐑤𐑐 𐑚𐑮𐑬𐑟𐑼
Comment[eo]=Lanĉi helpfoliumilon
Comment[es]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_AR]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_CL]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_CO]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_CR]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_DO]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_EC]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_ES]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_GT]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_HN]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_MX]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_NI]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_PA]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_PE]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_PR]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_SV]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_UY]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[es_VE]=Lanzar el visor de ayuda
Comment[et]=Abiteabe sirvija käivitamine
Comment[et_EE]=Abiteabe sirvija käivitamine
Comment[eu]=Abiatu laguntza-arakatzailea
Comment[eu_ES]=Abiatu laguntza-arakatzailea
Comment[fa]=راه‌اندازی مرورگر راهنما
Comment[fa_AF]=راه‌اندازی مرورگر راهنما
Comment[fa_IR]=راه‌اندازی مرورگر راهنما
Comment[fi]=Käynnistä ohjeselain
Comment[fi_FI]=Käynnistä ohjeselain
Comment[fr]=Lancer le navigateur d'aide
Comment[ga]=Tosaigh brabhsálaí cabhrach
Comment[gl]=Iniciar o navegador de axuda
Comment[gl_ES]=Iniciar o navegador de axuda
Comment[gu]=મદદ બ્રાઉઝર લાવો
Comment[hi]=मदद ब्राउज़र लॉन्च करें
Comment[hu]=Súgóböngésző indítása
Comment[hu_HU]=Súgóböngésző indítása
Comment[id]=Tampilkan layar bantuan
Comment[id_ID]=Tampilkan layar bantuan
Comment[it]=Lancia il visualizzatore di manuali
Comment[ja]=ヘルプ・ブラウザーを起動する
Comment[ja_JP]=ヘルプ・ブラウザーを起動する
Comment[ka]=დახმარების ბროუზერის გაშვება
Comment[km]=ចាប់ផ្ដើម​កម្មវិធី​រុករក​ជំនួយ
Comment[km_KH]=ចាប់ផ្ដើម​កម្មវិធី​រុករក​ជំនួយ
Comment[kn]=ನೆರವಿನ ವೀಕ್ಷಕವನ್ನು ಆರಂಭಿಸು
Comment[ko]=도움말 브라우저 실행
Comment[ko_KR]=도움말 브라우저 실행
Comment[ku]=Gerokê alîkariyê veke
Comment[lt]=Paleisti žinyno naršyklę
Comment[lt_LT]=Paleisti žinyno naršyklę
Comment[lv]=Palaist palīdzības pārlūku
Comment[lv_LV]=Palaist palīdzības pārlūku
Comment[mai]=मद्दति ब्राउज़र चलाबू
Comment[mg]=Alefaso ny mpizaha toro-làlana
Comment[mk]=Пушти прелистувач за помош
Comment[mk_MK]=Пушти прелистувач за помош
Comment[ml]=സഹായകബ്രൌസര്‍ തുറക്കുക
Comment[mn]=Тусламж хөтчийг эхлүүлэх
Comment[mr]=मदत ब्राऊजर दाखल करा
Comment[nb]=Start hjelpleser
Comment[nb_NO]=Start hjelpleser
Comment[nds]=Hölpkieker starten
Comment[ne]=मद्दत ब्राउजर प्रारम्भ गर
Comment[nl]=Hulp openen
Comment[nl_NL]=Hulp openen
Comment[nn]=Start hjelplesar
Comment[nn_NO]=Start hjelplesar
Comment[nso]=Tsebagatša sefetleki sa thušo
Comment[oc]=Aviar lo navigador d'ajuda
Comment[or]=ସାହାୟ୍ଯ ବ୍ରାଉଜର ପ୍ରାରମ୍ଭ କର
Comment[pa]=ਮੱਦਦ-ਝਲਕਾਰਾ ਚਲਾਓ
Comment[pl]=Uruchomienie przeglądarki pomocy
Comment[pl_PL]=Uruchomienie przeglądarki pomocy
Comment[pt]=Iniciar o navegador de ajuda
Comment[pt_BR]=Lançar o navegador de ajuda
Comment[pt_PT]=Iniciar o navegador de ajuda
Comment[ro]=Lansare fereastră de ajutor
Comment[ro_RO]=Lansare fereastră de ajutor
Comment[ru]=Запустить справочную систему
Comment[sk]=Spustiť prehliadač pomocníka
Comment[sk_SK]=Spustiť prehliadač pomocníka
Comment[sl]=Zaženi brskalnik pomoči
Comment[sl_SI]=Zaženi brskalnik pomoči
Comment[sq]=Lësho shfletuesin e ndihmës
Comment[sr]=Покретање прегледача помоћи
Comment[sr@Latn]=Pokretanje pregledača pomoći
Comment[sr@ije]=Покретање прегледача помоћи
Comment[sr@latin]=Pokretanje pregledača pomoći
Comment[sv]=Starta hjälpvisare
Comment[ta]=உதவி மேலோடியை துவக்கு
Comment[ta_LK]=உதவி மேலோடியை துவக்கு
Comment[te]=సహయక అన్వేషణిని దింపుము
Comment[th]=เรียกดูวิธีใช้
Comment[th_TH]=เรียกดูวิธีใช้
Comment[tr]=Yardım tarayıcı aç
Comment[ug]=ياردەم قوزغاتقۇنى قوزغات
Comment[uk]=Запуск переглядача довідки
Comment[uk_UA]=Запуск переглядача довідки
Comment[vi]=Khởi chạy bộ duyệt trợ giúp
Comment[vi_VN]=Khởi chạy bộ duyệt trợ giúp
Comment[xh]=Isikhangeli soncedo sokundulula
Comment[zh_CN]=启动帮助浏览器
Comment[zh_HK]=執行說明文件瀏覽器
Comment[zh_TW]=執行說明文件瀏覽器
Comment[zu]=Ngenisa usizo lwesiyaluzi
LukeGM

Post by LukeGM »

I know this isn't really the right place for this, but since the thread has already started...

Thanks smurphos for your solution for broken Mint Application help/yelp. It worked perfectly.

I'm using Mint Cinnamon 19 and was getting the same error message "There was an Error displaying the help. The specified location is not supported".
I suspect the application help broke when I manually upgraded and installed yelp from source.

But that leads me to... What the ...??? How is Mint application help displayed by yelp dependent on having a mint-user-guide.desktop file and not having a yelp.desktop file? And smurphos how did you even guess that was the cause?

Thanks again for the solution and thanks for any explanation anyone can give.
LukeGM

Post by LukeGM »

Back on topic "Offline help".

The package ubuntu-docs contains the Ubuntu Desktop Guide which seems to have exactly the offline information ssspace was looking for. With a section on; "Networking, web & email - Wireless, wired, connection problems, web browsing, email accounts…"
Plus: "A tutorial on getting online"

I was thinking that it would be really good to have a Mint version of the Desktop Guide. A lot of the information in the Ubuntu Desktop Guide is going to be relevant, so it could be used as the base for creating a Mint version. I don't think it would a particularly massive task to take the Ubuntu guide, review it and modify it for Mint. The new guide would probably be Mint version specific, given, how Mint differs from Ubuntu changes with each Mint release.

I have no idea about translations or maintaining a project, so I have no idea about the effort or difficulties they may entire.

Anyway I happy to put some time into it if people think its worthwhile.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

LukeGM wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 am And smurphos how did you even guess that was the cause?
By playing spot the difference in the desktop files between a 19 install and a 18.3 install.... :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”