[SOLVED] A "Do nothing" option when you close the laptop lid

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Nocturn Adrift

[SOLVED] A "Do nothing" option when you close the laptop lid

Post by Nocturn Adrift »

Within the power manager, please, add a "do nothing" option. It severely helps people when they are making a compact workstation involving an external monitor. I went into the config profiles to take it out, it was a massive pain that would be extremely easy (from my perspective) to be implemented. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Nocturn Adrift on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A "Do nothing" option when you close the laptop lid

Post by Pierre »

But there is that option - from the Control Center - Hardware:
- "when Laptop Lid is Closed " "do nothing".
that option in Power Management - in available in both:
- On AC Power
- On Battery Power
under the Actions area.

you don't see that ? what desktop version of LinuxMint are you using ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
getaway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by getaway »

Hello there

I am using LinuxMint cinnamon Tara and neverthless the option "do nothing" is checked for AC power and for battery power, I cannot avoid my screen to be locked when I close the lid of the laptop.
Thank you for any idea to avoid that???
Linuxmint Cinnamon Tricia 19.3 64 bits
Asus UX430U
gm10

Post by gm10 »

getaway wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am Hello there

I am using LinuxMint cinnamon Tara and neverthless the option "do nothing" is checked for AC power and for battery power, I cannot avoid my screen to be locked when I close the lid of the laptop.
Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i '/IgnoreLid=/{s/false/true/}' /etc/UPower/UPower.conf 
sudo sed -i '/HandleLidSwitch/{s/#//;s/suspend/ignore/}' /etc/systemd/logind.conf
sudo systemctl restart systemd-logind
Might have to reboot for the first change to take effect, I'm not actually sure.
getaway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by getaway »

Hello gm10

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Your suggestion works fine after rebooting the system.
I actually do appreciate. Many thanks.

But I do support too the first suggestion of "Nocturn Adrift" for a simple option which would suspend all actions except turning off the light of the screen when we close the lid of a laptop.
Your suggestion needs badly a lot of Linux knowledge not everybody have. Neither me...
:D :D :D
Asus UX430U
gm10

Post by gm10 »

getaway wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:28 am But I do support too the first suggestion of "Nocturn Adrift" for a simple option which would suspend all actions except turning off the light of the screen when we close the lid of a laptop.
Your suggestion needs badly a lot of Linux knowledge not everybody have. Neither me...
:D :D :D
For most users including myself the power management options work fine the way @Pierre posted above. It's just in some cases that this fails either due to misconfiguration or misbehaving hardware/drivers, so what I gave you was the override basically.
getaway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by getaway »

Thank you anyway. It works now...
Should I mark the problem fixed on the first post of this thread (I'm not the author)?
Asus UX430U
gm10

Post by gm10 »

getaway wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:23 pm Should I mark the problem fixed on the first post of this thread (I'm not the author)?
You can only do that for your own threads. We don't know if OP's problem ever got solved since he never replied again - in case of doubt I would have suggested the same to him though. ;)
idavidv

Post by idavidv »

Just to confirm it works perfectly on Linux Mint 20 with kernel 5.4.0-47-generic :D

ID
gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:50 am
getaway wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am Hello there

Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i '/IgnoreLid=/{s/false/true/}' /etc/UPower/UPower.conf 
sudo sed -i '/HandleLidSwitch/{s/#//;s/suspend/ignore/}' /etc/systemd/logind.conf
sudo systemctl restart systemd-logind
Might have to reboot for the first change to take effect, I'm not actually sure.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”