Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
DiegoAzeta
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Post by DiegoAzeta » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Peppermint 9 now has a "minimal install" option that makes it easier for the user to independently install the specific apps s/he desires after the basic OS is up and running. Very helpful. Linux Mint should include this option as well.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 am

DiegoAzeta wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Linux Mint should include this option as well.

Mint pre-installs applications precisely because people use them.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm

I agree with the suggestion. Applications are pre-installed because SOME people use them. Most of the pre-installed apps are useless to me so I have an apt command to install about 25 applications that I use. I know the extra apps don't bother the computer, but they sure slow me down when I wade through them looking for the things I need.

Absent a minimal install, it would be useful to have a list of packages that can safely be purged.

Mike

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Mik3e wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm
I know the extra apps don't bother the computer, but they sure slow me down when I wade through them looking for the things I need.
Depending on which DE you're using, it's probably really easy to hide them from the menu.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm

What you do and do not use is so subjective - e.g. I don't use Firefox but there's no way you can distribute the system without a pre-installed web browser - that I'm also against this suggestion. It's easier to just remove what you don't want afterwards. I have a post-installation script that handles that for me.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asusucks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Asusucks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 am

Good suggestion.

If they have time for it then there is no good reason not to have something like that.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lsemmens » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 am

I'm happy with the default of Browser/ Office suite and utilities, Typically you've just got to install these anyway, so it makes it a far quicker/easier solution to have them up front. Last time I installed Windwoes it took nearly two days to get to the same point as I can with Linux in less than an hour.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Asusucks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Asusucks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am

I got this wrong. I thought OP was suggesting an option to chose what you want to install.

I imagined it like this: you click on "install mint" and then a box pops out where you can check/uncheck some apps and stuff you want/do not want to be installed.

His suggestion is ok also. It could be useful for more experienced users.

Schallaven
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Schallaven » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 am

From a support point of view: Extra options during install cause more questions, esp. for people who do not know exactly what they are doing. An option "Minimal install" will be attractive to click on simply because it suggests not doing "too much" and gives a "let's start simple"-feeling. Automatically, the other option becomes the one with the scary technicalities. Furthermore, exactly these persons will then complain here or on IRC about that there is no browser, codecs, office suite, etc. installed. "Why does Linux Mint not come with everything?" "What do you mean 'don't choose minimal install'? I have only 5gig free!!!!111" "This is crap."

And of course all the questions about what EXACTLY is the difference between minimal and full(?) install? "Do I need these so-called 'browsers' and 'codecs'?" "I am not sure if to choose 'minimal install' during installation. Can you help me? - Take 'full install'. - But does not 'minimal install' take less space?"

On the other side, I see the advantage of having such an option for experienced users. How about implementing it (if at all) as command line option to the installer? It could then exclude certain packages from installing or just popping up a dialog box at the respective point to choose packages. Oh, and then there needs to be a minimal-to-full-meta-package! :wink:
kittykernel - a cat-friendly, custom kernel manager for Linux Mint and other Debian derivates. Take a look or two here: Releases Github
Your argument is irrelephant - it's lacking elephants.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 am

Schallaven wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 am
On the other side, I see the advantage of having such an option for experienced users. How about implementing it (if at all) as command line option to the installer? It could then exclude certain packages from installing or just popping up a dialog box at the respective point to choose packages. Oh, and then there needs to be a minimal-to-full-meta-package! :wink:
I'd be ok with the command line option, I think that dialog box would probably add needless complexity though, advanced users can add what they need after installation. On the other hand, an advanced user can just as well remove what they don't need after installation, so I still don't think it's strictly needed. Would help with installing to limited storage space though.

mahmutelmas06
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mahmutelmas06 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm
What you do and do not use is so subjective - e.g. I don't use Firefox but there's no way you can distribute the system without a pre-installed web browser - that I'm also against this suggestion. It's easier to just remove what you don't want afterwards. I have a post-installation script that handles that for me.
I have replied this in another post but i would likte reply also here while there is 2 topic for the same idea.

There could be an option for "Selective Install" or "Full installation" modes in installer. Than we can setup linux mint how we want.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”