Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 am

cjoliprsf said,
Q4OS distribution has a very clever implementation that lets the user choose
This is very true but why would you want a system that looks like Win XP as in 1990s technology that is primarily aimed as a business usage distro first and end user, home user, as a secondary thought to begin with ?...its also using the "trinity" desktop as its default which isnt exactly mainstream with linux distros and has only about 20 limited programs in its repositories that are only accessable through using "Synaptic", (Synaptic is not really user friendly to most beginners), because it lacks a software manager and when installing programs from the terminal, it does not ask for or need "sudo" permissions to do so which i see as a clearly significant security issue.

Comparing this distro with Linux Mint distros is really comparing apples to oranges here, or like comparing an old VW Beatle with a Lamborghini, There is just no comparison...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

cjoliprsf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Suggestion: Add minimal install option

Post by cjoliprsf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 am
Comparing this distro with Linux Mint distros is really comparing apples to oranges here, or like comparing an old VW Beatle with a Lamborghini, There is just no comparison...DAMIEN
Damien, please don't interpret wrongly what I wrote... There is nothing in my last intervention suggesting I compare Q4OS to Mint. Since you had mentioned a distro (Peppermint) that has a minimum install option that doesn't work, I simply brought this as an example for a minimal install that does work as I thought it could bring something positive to the discussion.

And as your other comment:
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 am
why would you want a system that looks like Win XP as in 1990s technology that is primarily aimed as a business usage distro first and end user, home user, as a secondary thought to begin with ?
For my part, while I use Mint as my main OS in 2 computers (and I like Mint very much for this), when time comes to make a virtual machine, it is Q4OS that I pick because it permits me to easily have a Linux VM in a 2 Gig virtual disk file that will run with less than 1 Gig of dedicated RAM. Something unapproachable in Mint. In a VM, you don't care as much for the look and feel of the distro and its DE. So, no I don't compare the 2 distros - I simply use them both where they shine...

This being said, there is nothing wrong in saying that another distro has a clever feature that could be added to Mint.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”