Feedback on Mint 19 & development

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
timmie

Feedback on Mint 19 & development

Post by timmie »

hello,

I started to use Mint time ago as a more user friendly alternative to Ubuntu.

But more an more I find issues and the distro seems to have lost the traction in spearheading usability.
Compared with the fast access to frequently used files which I see with Win 10 there is some room for improvement in productivity.

Examples:
  • Requests to include recent files list were blocked as won't fix due to GTK upstream issues
  • Samba nor NFS is not installed by default...
How shall I report all the little things I encountered since I did a complete reinstall of the OS?

Thanks.
gm10

Re: Feedback on Mint 19 & development

Post by gm10 »

Yeah, I think they're on a minimal effort approach as far as the main distro goes these days.

Bug reports and feature suggestions both can be submitted as issues under the appropriate repository on github: https://github.com/linuxmint/
timmie

Post by timmie »

gm10 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 pm Yeah, I think they're on a minimal effort approach as far as the main distro goes these days.
Shall be exploring Plasma then. They have a desktop indexer.
There seem to be some usability/productivity improvements although I'd come accustomed to Gnome/GTK as opposed to the K* things and I liked the accessories Mint provides.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 pm Yeah, I think they're on a minimal effort approach as far as the main distro goes these days.
Maybe this'll change soon:
with LMDE 3 and Mint 19 behind us, we’re ready to get started on some of the big projects.
Source: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3634

But given the relatively small size of the Mint dev team, the Mint devs can hardly be blamed to leave upstream issues to upstream...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Do we know what those big projects are? Other than Cinnamon 4.0 I guess.
Pjotr wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 pm But given the relatively small size of the Mint dev team, the Mint devs can hardly be blamed to leave upstream issues to upstream...
Well, it's not like they've run out of things to fix and improve regarding their own stuff. The Cinnamon repo alone has 639 open issues, and that's with them closing feature requests as soon as they've read them.
timmie

Post by timmie »

The intention of the original question was really to provide feedback.

In the Mint 19 release there are numerous items which I would not have expected in a 2018 Mint distro.
Mint started with motivation to provide the better out of the box user experience than Ubuntu.
It's about innovative features & QA.
Thing is that I had to configure many things again: samba to access NAS, etc.

So:

Shall I file an issue for each item?
Or shall I create a forum thread?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

timmie wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:22 pm Shall I file an issue for each item?
Or shall I create a forum thread?
If you want to reach the devs directly, then create an issue (search if one doesn't already exist first).

If you want to see whether your opinion is actually shared by the community, create a thread and let's discuss. I suppose if the thread is productive then the devs could be made aware of it.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”