Site Specific Browser

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Site Specific Browser

Post by snowflake »

Hello
I'd like to suggest making a Mint "Site Specific Browser" mini app, i think google chrome & GNOME Web didnt do good job when it comes to what the users want, because the user want to feel like he's running an app not a browser but at same time must run smoother than a regular browser (not an Electron heavy app), I believe exploring the idea will eventually lead to finding the best way to have cloud apps on a Linux Desktop.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Site Specific Browser

Post by catweazel »

snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm Hello
I'd like to suggest making a Mint "Site Specific Browser" mini app, i think google chrome & GNOME Web didnt do good job when it comes to what the users want, because the user want to feel like he's running an app not a browser but at same time must run smoother than a regular browser (not an Electron heavy app), I believe exploring the idea will eventually lead to finding the best way to have cloud apps on a Linux Desktop.
That simply does not make any sense whatsoever. It is the responsibility of individual sites to provide that kind of facility. Do you really expect the devs to build SSBs for even a tiny fraction of the 1.8 billion web sites on the internet? Good grief.

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm It is the responsibility of individual sites to provide that kind of facility.
no its not, we'r not talking about mobiles here, & im not talking about using their api, more like a stripped down web browser
catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm
Do you really expect the devs to build SSBs for even a tiny fraction of the 1.8 billion web sites on the internet? Good grief.
no, but creating a way for the user to do one SSB for one website
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 pm ... more like a stripped down web browser
There's already a stripped down, customisable browser in linux. It's called Lynx.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this is the only thing i know that will help you in your quest of using ICE/SSB for hybrid style cloud computing...it is Peppermint 9 linux OS...ICE/SSD is incorporated into the operating system using firefox browser as the default browser that has been hybridised by their developers...that is about as close as your going to get...DAMIEN

PS...personally, at least to me, it is not much different than just placing a bookmark on my browser bookmarks bar and just clicking the bookmark to tell the browser what site i want to go to...i just wouldnt use that service app to do such a simple function as the bookmark already does for me.

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85421.html

Microsoft Office Online SSB’s: This according to the release statement is “simply links to the free online ‘web app’ version of Office”. Users who may not “like anything containing the word ‘Microsoft’ on their system” could easily remove it from the ICE application.

NB: ICE is used to create Site Specific Browsers. ICE allows you to integrate any web app or website into Peppermint system menus. An ICE application will open in its own window just like any application that has been locally installed.

Skype Web Client SSB: This feature is mainly for 32bit Peppermint users who use Skype. It should be noted that Microsoft no longer supports a 32bit Skype client for Linux. So for 32bit Peppermint users, this is the only way they can use Skype.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:32 pm There's already a stripped down, customisable browser in linux. It's called Lynx.
no, thats a text-mode browser, & I already have shortcuts for my basic not so modern sites using "Links 2", it opens instantly & looks exactly the way i want it to, obviously you meant to ridicule me & not to actually expand the discussion, thats fine i forgive you..
most modern useful websites either not run, or run badlly whithout JS, so even a too stripped down graphical web browser wont do
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm this is the only thing i know that will help you in your quest of using ICE/SSB for hybrid style cloud computing...it is Peppermint 9 linux OS...ICE/SSD is incorporated into the operating system using firefox browser as the default browser that has been hybridised by their developers...that is about as close as your going to get...DAMIEN

PS...personally, at least to me, it is not much different than just placing a bookmark on my browser bookmarks bar and just clicking the bookmark to tell the browser what site i want to go to...i just wouldnt use that service app to do such a simple function as the bookmark already does for me.

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85421.html

Microsoft Office Online SSB’s: This according to the release statement is “simply links to the free online ‘web app’ version of Office”. Users who may not “like anything containing the word ‘Microsoft’ on their system” could easily remove it from the ICE application.

NB: ICE is used to create Site Specific Browsers. ICE allows you to integrate any web app or website into Peppermint system menus. An ICE application will open in its own window just like any application that has been locally installed.

Skype Web Client SSB: This feature is mainly for 32bit Peppermint users who use Skype. It should be noted that Microsoft no longer supports a 32bit Skype client for Linux. So for 32bit Peppermint users, this is the only way they can use Skype.
thank you for bringing that up, I did look into ICE and Peppermint befor making this thread, didnt want to discuss it because I dont have enough knowledge on it yet, is it the closest we can get? probably not, i admit that I'm a noob, but that’s the thing, stuff like this is what get noobs excited, on the other hand Mint having a reputation of being noob-friendly & all..I'm sure you see where I'm going here

no I don’t use Microsoft products or websites, not that I think people shoudn't use Microsoft stuff, its a free.ish world right? ,just want to say it has nothing to do with why I made this post

Anyway, its just a suggestion, calling it a quest is kind of exaggerating, sadly I'm not that committed, & I lack the knowledge or skills to make this a quest, just thought i put it out there ..so to speak
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I personally, cannot see a valid argument for what you are wanting to do.

it will just make a mess IMO.
Bookmarks are Old School and work perfect still yet today.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm Hello
I'd like to suggest making a Mint "Site Specific Browser" mini app,
Snowflake IF I catch your drift and you mean to search (browse) this particular website ?
That functionality already exists just type <search_term> SITE:forums.linuxmint.com
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

rickNS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm Snowflake IF I catch your drift and you mean to search (browse) this particular website ?
That functionality already exists just type <search_term> SITE:forums.linuxmint.com
No you didnt lol,you're way off because you skimmed too fast
hey don’t worry about it; I realized that this is not the way to reach the Devs, that the Forum is only for users to help each other, So I will only come her to offer or seek advice from fellow users.
& its not about what "I want", folks, its more about what "It'l be nice to have for everyone".
Cheers

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”