Installation menu

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Gabriele
Level 1
Level 1

Installation menu

Post by Gabriele » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am

When i install Cinnamon it provide me to install Mint new with another old system preserving the documents or to overide all.

I think this option should be expanded allowing the user to override the old system preserving the documents folder.

In other word an option with which i select a folder or more folder in the old system that can be preserved and copied in the new.

I said this because sometime linux crash and i need to reeinstall, i could recovery the document but i needed to copy from the crashed to the new after istallation.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installation menu

Post by Moem » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am

The way people do this is generally to make a separate /home partition (using the 'Something Else' installation option) and then choose not to format that during the new installation.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installation menu

Post by lsemmens » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am

I go even further than Moem (Who's advice is sound) and keep all of my critical data on a separate drive. I can then safely blow everything away on my OS drive and not risk forgetting something.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”