Pidgin

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
P4r4b014

Pidgin

Post by P4r4b014 »

Hey guys and girls,

Just heard that Ubuntu was replacing Pidgin with Empathy. My suggestion is that we don't do that with Linux Mint 8. :]
emorrp1

Re: Pidgin

Post by emorrp1 »

Do you have any particular reason for this, or is it just personal preference and that fact you're used to it? TBH Pidgin has only ever been included because there's no similarly featured IM client. Now Empathy supports all the same protocols as Pidgin, and in addition has Video support (I know Pidgin's working on this though). Empathy is a native gnome tool, so once it's ready, it will likely be included as a preference due to the integration (it'll always be easy enough to install Pidgin though).
BandonRandon

Re: Pidgin

Post by BandonRandon »

I agree with emorrp1,
I have never heard of Empathy until right now (when I googled it to find out what it was, i knew it was an instant message program but nothing more than that.) Even if the "default" is replaced Linux makes it easy enough to install and use Pidgin as a default. For me, I'd probably give Empathy a try and if i don't like it go back to Pidgin.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”