Dual boot options in grub

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ud6

Dual boot options in grub

Post by ud6 »

I install dual boot for friends quite regularly, but almost all want mint as a secondary option to try out or as a backup OS. Also, no one wants to wait 7 seconds on the dual boot menu.

My suggestion is that these are options when mint is being installed i.e. questions like:

Which OS do you wish to boot into as default:
1. Windows 10
2. Linux mint 19.0
3. Arch linux

(Basically it detects the OSs installed and allows you to determine which is default)

How long a delay do you want to wait on the boot menu (seconds). Recommended is 7 seconds. Press enter for default.
(Enter number of seconds)

This would enable first time users to set up a dual boot that they are comfortable with without having to start their linux experience by editing the grub file. I think would really help newbies that just aren't ready to mess up their whole grub loader on the first try of linux. Should be really easy to implement too.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dual boot options in grub

Post by deepakdeshp »

This suggestions should go to the developers forum. I am not sure how to send it there.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

In fact this is the right forum for making suggestions about Linux Mint.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I do not see the default behavior of grub as problematic to most users. The "cost" of having to press down arrow to select another OS is a really, really small price to pay for such a wonderful piece of software. THANK YOU! GRUB DUDES!
first time users to set up a dual boot that they are comfortable with without having to start their linux experience by editing the grub file.
If for some reason someone does want to change this behavior it is a simple matter of changing a "0" to a "1" (or 2, 3 etc), Yes that is editing a file, but and should not be that big a deal.

And if that's not enough there is always more useless lines of code called grub customizer.

Since you are
install dual boot for friends quite regularly
should know this, and ask/do it for those whom it "bothers so much"
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

rickNS wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:12 pm Since you are
install dual boot for friends quite regularly
should know this, and ask/do it for those whom it "bothers so much"
If that is an issue, my recommendation is NOT to install. :wink:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”