Out of space-can't login

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Out of space-can't login

Post by davethewave »

I'm out of space so mint won't pass the login screen. It goes to login loop.

Could it be made to write to RAM in events like this so that one can login to desktop to remove software? I've used apt to remove VLC and libre office but it wasn't enough. It still says not enough space and won't login. There's really nothing I can do at this point. My laptop is bricked
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Out of space-can't login

Post by Moem »

There is a thing you can do: boot from a live medium. Once you're in, you can remove things to make some space. There is most likely something taking up more space than it should; could be a log file, could be the restore snap shots from Timeshift, could be something else.

Boot from a live USB, fire up the Disk Usage Analyzer, and take a look at what is filling your disk up.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Other than using a live medium, you can also press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen to bring up a virtual terminal. You'll be able to remove files from there if you're comfortable at a command line. I agree with Moem that this may well be due to a runaway log file (check /var/log) if you already removed large packages like libre office. Make sure you disk is really full though, your login may be failing for other reasons.
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davethewave »

Thank you. I removed files but it didn't work. I boot to live cd and used gparted to grow the partition which fixed it.

Feature request to have it write to RAM still though. It would make it easier.

If out of space = true then write to temporary RAM drive. (I'm not a programmer lol)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”