[Closed] LM forum request- easy Bookmarks and Subscriptions access

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
redlined

[Closed] LM forum request- easy Bookmarks and Subscriptions access

Post by redlined »

Unless I'm missing something obvious I've found the (only?) way to load/view forum topic bookmarks and subscriptions is to enter user control panel from name drop down menu (upper right corner), Overview, Manage Bookmarks (and Manage Subscriptions) and from there can open topics bookmarked or subscribed to.

If I'm not missing an easier way I'd appreciate it greatly if forum manager would add a couple links to *Your bookmarks and *Your subscriptions in the "Quick links" drop down menu like we have for *Your posts, alternately perhaps as tabs in the search_id=egosearch results or filters to easily show bokkmarks and subscriptions.

Thanks 8)
Last edited by redlined on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM forum request- easy Bookmarks and Subscriptions access

Post by xenopeek »

Bookmarks and subscriptions are basically the same (a future phpBB version hopefully merges them). For both you get notifications when something happens to the topic (as configured here ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options). Using the bookmarks or subscriptions list as a kind of web browser bookmarks list isn't their primary purpose. Considering hardly anyone use bookmarks (less than 0.1% of the users really use them) I don't want to clutter the quick links with that. Subscriptions are used by a more significant number of users but I think most users just subscribe to get email notifications and never (ever) look at the subscriptions list. Similarly therefor I don't think adding this to the quick links menu fits with how most users use it. You can bookmark the page in your web browser as a workaround: ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed
redlined

Re: LM forum request- easy Bookmarks and Subscriptions access

Post by redlined »

hi xenopeek!

Thank you for your response. I tend to bookmark everything of interest using browser and, as expected, it is a mess :shock:
being new to Linux and managing a few home computers, transitioning last win7 box to LM19.1 when that is out I've forum bookmarked many topics that have advice and solutions for quick(er) reference of things I want to get done on each.

After seeing your second link, hadn't thought of that :oops: I will use your tip on making a bookmark (browser) to my bookmarks (forum) and put that on my bookmarks toolbar (browser) and that will work fine, thanks!

(marking this thread closed)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Closed] LM forum request- easy Bookmarks and Subscriptions access

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 pm Considering hardly anyone use bookmarks (less than 0.1% of the users really use them) I don't want to clutter the quick links with that.
Fair enough, but I'd have used them more if there were a convenient way to get to them! :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

On using browser bookmarks:
To manage a large number of bookmarks, you can create categories and then organize bm's by the category. Also, you can edit the description each of one to make it more meaningful to you and easier to find. I keep my favorite 20 bm's in the bm toolbar. There names can also be abbreviated. For some I have just the icon.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
redlined

Post by redlined »

wallyUSA wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:07 pm On using browser bookmarks:
To manage a large number of bookmarks, you can create categories and then organize bm's by the category. Also, you can edit the description each of one to make it more meaningful to you and easier to find. I keep my favorite 20 bm's in the bm toolbar. There names can also be abbreviated. For some I have just the icon.
hi wallyUSA!

Thank you for your response, what you describe doing is pretty much how I do things here as well and most times even find what I want easily enough with bm suggetions enabled for when I start typing into address bar or search. The compromise to my request for forum quick link addition is to bm my forum bms to my bm toolbar which also has about 2 dozen abbreviated title easily recognized icons for those things I want...quick access to :lol:
(also, and iow, I find my bm (forum) bm (browser) on bm toolbar (hearafter referred to as bmtb;) to be very conveniently located between bmtb LM forums bm and the most excellent easylinuxtips bmtb bm :mrgreen:

(try saying that before enough coffee :twisted:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”