New Features For Nemo Requested

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
MrGrimm

New Features For Nemo Requested

Post by MrGrimm »

i'd like to see the following in nemo.

1. when you chose "open each folder in its own window" that we keep the "open in new tab" option instead of it being removed from the rightclick context menus.

2. have the ability to combine open windows into one tabbed window. via drag like you do in your browser.

3. have the horizontal alignment of icons fixed so if one row is say 12 icons across so is every row beneath it.

4. the ability to backup my settings in nemo. by this i mean bookmarks, per-folder view settings, sidebar settings, etc....

5. the option to have the last open nemo window(all tabs)reopen on startup.

6. have the ability to rightclick anywhere and create a link / shortcut, not just the ability when you rightclick an item.

7. "create launcher here" added to folders not just the desktop, so we don't have to add a special action for it.

8. keep all items on the rightclick menu when the icons on the desktop are hidden.
MrGrimm

Re: New Features For Nemo Requested

Post by MrGrimm »

9. icon spacing settings panel for folders just like the panel for the desktop. i see no reason why the ability to adjust the icon spacing and alignment in folds can't be copied from the desktop, especially since peeps thought it a good idea to remove "compact from under "arrange items". i personally think a button for the panel can be placed next to the slider for adjusting the size of items in the folders. or instead of the item size slider have a button when clicked presents you with a panel that lets you resize the folder items and sliders for adjusting both the horizontal and vertical spacing of icons in the folder.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think new feature requests should go somewhere here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am I think new feature requests should go somewhere here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo
maybe, but figuring out what to put it under leaves a lot to be desired.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 am
Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am I think new feature requests should go somewhere here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo
i was asking for a suggestion of where to place a new post / thread there. thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As you may image, the more effort you put into making good feature requests the more likely they will get a review from a developer. If you make them do all the legwork—they just don't have the time for that.

Some tips:
  • Don't put 8 unrelated ideas in one feature request / issue; only put very closely related ideas in one issue and make new issues for others.
  • Illustrate with annotated screenshots what you mean and describe it in more than one sentence. It should be clear how other users would benefit from it; the more it would benefit other users the more likely it is to be discussed further in the development team.
  • Thoroughly search beforehand if a similar or related issue is already up there (either open or closed).
  • Also check the roadmap if anything related is mentioned https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap.
  • Most importantly if—as your signature says—you're running Linux Mint 19 do set up a test install (on hardware or virtual machine) with Linux Mint 19.1 so you can see if your ideas would still be applicable to the current version of Nemo. Don't make suggestions on old versions.
If you make it easy for a developers to work on your idea, it's more likely to get attention. There's 500 other issues that need attention just on Nemo.

Consider also how important these would be to other users and whether for your own use there is not already another way that doesn't take developer time. Like your backups suggestions (4). If you take a backup of your home directory, you already have Nemo's bookmarks and settings backed up with that. You can also ask here on the forums for help and I think you can do those backups with 2 trivial commands. So does it really need to have a button in the GUI. How many users would back this up separately just in Nemo through a GUI, instead of through backup of their home directory with all their other programs' settings?

Also useful to prioritize on how hard it may be to implement something; obviously easier to implement ideas have a better chance of getting implemented (if a developer is working on that area of the code they may just take your idea along to implement). Like your idea to be able to merge a window into another (2). That's not a common feature of Gtk programs I think and is likely to need a substantial amount of code writing and rewriting in Nemo to implement.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:41 ami was asking for a suggestion of where to place a new post / thread there. thanks
Please read my above post with comments on how to make a good feature request, but forgot to answer this. You need to register an account on GitHub before you can create new issues on projects. Feature requests you post as issues. May be helpful to put "[Feature Request]" at the start of the issue title.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:41 am
MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 am
i was asking for a suggestion of where to place a new post / thread there. thanks
AGAIN i have an account there, was want to know where to post the feature request.

can you please edit the first post and replace 4 with 9, and renumber the rest accordingly? thanks

"4. the ability to backup my settings in nemo. by this i mean bookmarks, per-folder view settings, sidebar settings, etc...."
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Updated your first post (and mine accordingly).

As noted, you post new feature requests as issues on https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo. See the "Issues 496" at the top, it's clickable.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:58 pm Updated your first post (and mine accordingly).

As noted, you post new feature requests as issues on https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo. See the "Issues 496" at the top, it's clickable.
i'm on 19.1, that said no none of the requested items are implemented. mater of fact as i stated either in this thread or another they removed compact from under arrange items instead of just addressing the icon alignment issue.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/2021
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu »

Glad to see this post. I would really like if the context menu would have the following two options:

1) as OP said, windows-like "create shortcut" as in "create launcher" of any item in the form of a .desktop file rather than a symbolic link

2) have an option, at least in file properties, to register new mime type with the given file extension

the second in particular is very important, as an engineer I have many different project files with exotic extensions that are fundamentally text files, but should be each open with a different piece of software. Obviously not all extensions are registered as mime types so I have to do it manually with great discomfort
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

vittopascu wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 pm Glad to see this post. I would really like if the context menu would have the following two options:

1) as OP said, windows-like "create shortcut" as in "create launcher" of any item in the form of a .desktop file rather than a symbolic link

2) have an option, at least in file properties, to register new mime type with the given file extension

the second in particular is very important, as an engineer I have many different project files with exotic extensions that are fundamentally text files, but should be each open with a different piece of software. Obviously not all extensions are registered as mime types so I have to do it manually with great discomfort
1) Can be done (with many other extra right click context menu) via a custom nemo action - see https://github.com/smurphos/nemo_action ... op-actions for some examples - as written these actions are currently only to send a directory to the desktop as a launcher, but could be tweaked

2) I'm surprised that the various softwares you are using don't register the mimetypes they support. But the general method of doing this is using the open with other applications GUI, and either adding applications to the list and/or making a specific application the default.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu »

2) yes I know, a lot of engineering software like modelsim, vivado, and some windows software (through wine) is obsolete or not particularly well supported on linux and doesn't register mime types. For instance .mpf .xpr .asc respectively are all seen as text files and changing the default application for one type will change the default application for all text files, which is undesirable...
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I would like a common unit (preferably in KB) for the file size column. That way it is easier to spot when there is an out-of-place file in a folder with so many files in it.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”