Why not enable installation on 64bit computers with 32bit EFI?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ndroftheline

Why not enable installation on 64bit computers with 32bit EFI?

Post by ndroftheline »

Hey crew,

While it's not incredibly common, a fair number of 32bit EFI machines exist that use 64bit processors, such as those from Apple between about 2006 and 2008 or so, and a few others. My 2007 iMacs are an example of this.

The *only* thing I had to do to get Linux Mint to install and run on these machines with native EFI functionality was to add a single 600kb file to the EFI/BOOT directory of the installation USB: bootia32.efi which I got from here, but the instructions to build it are clearly listed: https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t ... aster/boot

Once that was in place, it was a perfectly normal install, hold alt/option to boot installation USB, install using all defaults, and reboot. I needed Ethernet connectivity temporarily to install the proprietary Wifi drivers but aside from that, all went flawlessly.

Would it be too difficult or add some other complications to remaster the installation ISOs including this single file to enable a swath of computers that still have a potentially useful life?
gm10

Re: Why not enable installation on 64bit computers with 32bit EFI?

Post by gm10 »

I don't see a problem although we wouldn't need a third party efi stub for that, grub2 comes with a 32bit version as well, it just doesn't exist on the 64bit .iso. I let Clem know, maybe he'll still squeeze it in for 19.1.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That would be a nice improvement! I have struggled with the 32-bits EFI before and it's a pain.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Clem added it to the roadmap for 19.2, it was too late for 19.1.
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf »

gm10 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 am Clem added it to the roadmap for 19.2, it was too late for 19.1.
Great to hear! I was just struggling to install 19.1 to my new tablet before finding out about this missing bootia32.efi issue that Fedora and other distros have already remedied. These little devices are becoming more and more common so great to see support for them coming for 19.2! Thank you!! :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 am Clem added it to the roadmap for 19.2
🎆🎈👏😍

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”