Installing without GRUB AGAIN

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
_Josue_

Installing without GRUB AGAIN

Post by _Josue_ »

I am opening a new version of this topic
viewtopic.php?t=89701
because I have been messing with the newer Mint 19 versions and I have been unable to find a way to avoid installing GRUB. I really have had this trouble in the past and I have had limited sucess and lots of trouble.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/some-crazy- ... etup/30552

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139060

Please please include a way to NOT install GRUB for advanced users, hide it but please have it.

I don't want to use ubiquity -b, I would rather have an advanced option like what seemed to exist when that thread was still getting replies.
If the option is gone, that means we have lost a feature and we have to resort to command line to supply some sort of fail safe.
gm10

Re: Installing without GRUB AGAIN

Post by gm10 »

_Josue_ wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 pm I have been unable to find a way to avoid installing GRUB
[...]
I don't want to use ubiquity -b
Suit yourself I guess.

Mods, this should be moved, this is not a support topic.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Moved to Suggestions and New Ideas.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

A guy at the manjaro forum said
"Manjaro’s grub can load others, but other grubs F-up manjaro."
but I'm booting manjaro just fine from mint or ubuntu.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

_Josue_ wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 pm I don't want to use ubiquity -b, I would rather have an advanced option like what seemed to exist when that thread was still getting replies.
If the option is gone, that means we have lost a feature and we have to resort to command line to supply some sort of fail safe.
One brand new poster said yes. Everyone else said no. We haven't lost a feature that we never had.

I personally think this would be a good idea to implement, for the less than 1% of installs (number pulled from body part of my choosing) where grub is already installed in a preferred distro. But the ubiquity -b workaround is fine as well. Is there some specific reason you're totally against using the command line? You asked for an option for advanced users, so I assume it's not terminal-fright.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm I personally think this would be a good idea to implement,
I don't expect that to happen unless Ubuntu implements it first.

But I suggested to Clem a while ago to add a second desktop shortcut for those scared of the command line or simply unaware of the parameter. I didn't follow up on that so can't say whether it'll happen. It carries the risk of confusing users into clicking the wrong one and wondering why they cannot boot, so there's that.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Calamares have that feature? If it does, so why not have Calamares instead of Ubiquity?
Last edited by philotux on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 pm I don't expect that to happen unless Ubuntu implements it first.

But I suggested to Clem a while ago to add a second desktop shortcut for those scared of the command line or simply unaware of the parameter. I didn't follow up on that so can't say whether it'll happen. It carries the risk of confusing users into clicking the wrong one and wondering why they cannot boot, so there's that.
Yeah, I wouldn't have expected it without it being upstream first. Thanks for the update.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

philotux wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:06 pm Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Calamares have that feature? If so, why not have Calamares instead of Ubiquity?
I haven't looked at it myself yet but Clem said it's too feature-incomplete at this point, so Linux Mint is sticking with Ubiquity for the time being. And we try to minimize the modifications we make to it.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Alright. I thought since it's already being used in LMDE3.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

philotux wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm Alright. I thought since it's already being used in LMDE3.
I know, I said pretty much the same thing to him in that conversation. But as I said, I never actually looked at it, I don't know what it does and in particular what it does not do, so I cannot comment on the substance here.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”