Idea: Make AUR out of Flatpak in Software Manager

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dark

Idea: Make AUR out of Flatpak in Software Manager

Post by dark »

Like how Arch User Repository packages are created and maintained by different Arch users, i think it is possible for different Linux Mint users to create and maintain Flatpak packages essentially turning Flatpak in Software Manager similar to how AUR is in Arch/Manjaro, making all latest stable, beta, git, etc. software's available to install at ease for Linux Mint users by other Linux Mint users, and possibly drivers too. 8)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Idea: Make AUR out of Flatpak in Software Manager

Post by rene »

That would forego the major point of Flatpak (and alike): packaging/distribution being handled by the upstream developers themselves; of getting software "straight from the horse's mouth", packaged and tested by those with full in-house knowledge of and interest in the software performing well. Yes, I know most on Flathub isn't in fact packaged by upstream either but it's still the point: with community packagers you end with little other than the community repo or PPA's, other than, that is, the Flatpak format in and of itself not making a lot of sense over .deb's in that situation any more.

Sorry. Tend to dislike ideas being posted here being shot down but this one I feel to not be a good plan...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

We already have user repositories: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

Despite what rene said there's also nothing stopping you from putting your software on flathub.org or other flatpak remotes as long as you comply with the requirements.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Despite? Did you mean "other than"?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 am Despite? Did you mean "other than"?
despite
/dɪˈspʌɪt/Submit
preposition
without being affected by; in spite of.
"he remains a great leader despite age and infirmity"
synonyms: in spite of, notwithstanding, regardless of, in defiance of, without being affected by, in the face of, for all, even with, undeterred by
"he was forced to step down as mayor despite his popularity with voters"
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

"Despite" would be a word to use when you disagree with someone, or at the very least "specifically pay no attention to" someone. That is, the "in defiance of" / "without being affected by" from your paste. Rather different from "Other than" which would be used when simply expanding on.

Not looking to get into a grammar discussion but I was (and still am now) wondering if you found anything I said to be wrong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

No, you did not say anything factually wrong, but you opined it would be a bad idea. My statement was only that "despite of" your opinion on the idea there is nothing stopping the OP from doing it regardless. I don't think there was anything wrong with my grammar.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I see. For the sake of clarity: what I opined to be a bad idea is an explicit creation of AUR-like infrastructure for Mint based on the Flatpak format; we both do it seems, both referring to (the community repo and) PPA's. I'm as said aware of the fact that most on Flathub isn't in fact put there directly by upstream developers either, and while I where there's actual creative input into the packaging find this to violate the mentioned major point of the Flatpak format and system, certainly I wouldn't deny OP's or anyone ability to violate such.

Anyway. Understand what you meant now and shall leave it at that. Let it be opined that the plan as outlined seems not good to me....
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 am For the sake of clarity: what I opined to be a bad idea is an explicit creation of AUR-like infrastructure for Mint based on the Flatpak format; we both do it seems,
I hadn't even thought of a Mint-specific remote but I agree either way. I understand the benefits of PPAs and flatpaks but if necessary I'll rather compile from source than take that leap of faith myself. This might be different if flathub did actually host only developer-maintained packages as they initially were hoping to do but as you correctly pointed out, the reality is very different.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I'm on Mint somewhat specifically due to not wanting to any longer compile or even significantly tweak stuff; doing the very same thing 20+ times over in as many years gets old; when Arch enslaved my system to systemd infrastructure anyways thought I might as well forego any remaining illusion of being Free and Independent. Had the misfortune of landing on Mint 17 which was actually a damned good distribution, so still here, but have to admit something still itches. Historically cannot stand debscouts...

Enthusiastically, then, I envisioned the Brave New World of Flatpak --- or Snap, what do I care --- software delivered directly by upstream developers and installed onto what amounted to little more than kernel, systemd, GNU tools and libraries, Wayland and a DE. Linuces would unite around the call of True Minimalism and all the world would rejoice! Oh glorious day!

What it for now of course appears to be turning out as is same old same old for Linux, with the Flatpak and Snap and in some senses AppImage competing solutions fragmenting an in the first place hardly viable market into oblivion, and each ending up existing alongside all that history has already managed to deposit onto the Great Junkheap of Linux over the last 20 years, none of it ever really living, none of it ever really dying. And yes, if Flathub wasn't turning itself into basically just another repo (even if distribution-agnostic) by "doing it themselves" then I'd have been less convinced of that outcome already.

Personally I no longer have Flatpaks installed either. They're currently largely useless --- and I as mentioned already don't see that changing any more. Microsoft has with Windows 10 helped quite a bit in keeping me on Linux at least but I'm sort of out of hope...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I hear you. It's the reason I'm on the Ubuntu base, I like the easy availability of binaries. Still doesn't mean I'll just trust any anonymous PPA or similar, there's still a few things I rather compile myself. As for minimalism, I used to run a minimal openbox desktop for the longest time. So beautifully efficient. Only recently switched to MATE full time.
rene wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm What it for now of course appears to be turning out as is same old same old for Linux
That's all that needed to be said in fact, and we both know it's not going to change anytime soon.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Hah. If we haven't managed to discourage OP now nothing ever will...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”