Simple user problems

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
antanas1452

Simple user problems

Post by antanas1452 »

New user here, to be clear I installed Mint not for the Linux part but in hope of getting out of Windows claws.
Sorry in advance if I sound snarky, I wanted to give my thoughts about the experience I'm having as a simple Windows transitioning user and I'm hoping to help make the users and the guys who work on this OS understand each other a bit more.

*Turning off mouse acceleration required me to look up a tutorial and to use the terminal while there's already a slider option for it but no option to completely turn it off.
*Same as mouse acceleration but for Num Lock, I don't really understand why Num Lock is off by default when booting up. Option to turn on/off Num Lock on start up would be a good addition.
*Mouse sensitivity slider has a small range. Currently at min and mouse is still to sensitive. (Probably due to high DPI)
*And it would be great if there was an additional option next to the slider where you can accurately type in a value instead of fiddling with the slider for those who really care about how precise their pointer control is.

Please tell me if I should continue posting about my experiences and what I believe should be added/improved.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Simple user problems

Post by Moem »

antanas1452 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am I installed Mint not for the Linux part but in hope of getting out of Windows claws
Hello and welcome! Can you explain this part, if you don't mind? I don't understand what you mean here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

antanas1452 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am Please tell me if I should continue posting about my experiences and what I believe should be added/improved.
Certainly I'd say, but note that for example your mouse sensitivity issues are not something that will be of particular use to specifically Mint. On Windows (and Mac OS) the OS really is mostly GUI-based whereas on Linux it is still much more --- completely I'd in fact say --- the case that a GUI is something that sits atop the underlying and mostly terminal based operating system. This is in no small part due to Windows and Mac OS having only one GUI to manage, whereas on Linux we're still juggling Cinnamon, GNOME3, KDE, Budgie, MATE, XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment, Openbox, ....

The specific case of mouse sensitivity seems mostly a matter of new mice being HiDPI-geared, with on Windows manufacturer-supplied tools slowing things down on less impressive displays (i.e., with more pixels you're going to need to traverse more of them per unit of physical mouse movement, be faster, to with the same total movement get from the left to the right side of the screen); my new-ish Logitech mice are as ridiculously fast on Windows 7 as they are by default on Linux until I install Logitech SetPoint.

Given the combination of no manufacturer supplied tools/drivers on Linux and the mentioned GUI multiplicity, in Linux you need to adjust the issue at the lower level of X11, or Wayland in the semi-near future, and there's really not much that e.g. Cinnamon developers can or should do. Until things are on Linux much more integrated and significantly more singular those lower levels are where issues such as that are to be handled.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

antanas1452 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 amPlease tell me if I should continue posting about my experiences and what I believe should be added/improved.
Sure, why not? Probably some of the things you ask for will be readily available, others maybe not. Some of your suggestions may be accepted, others maybe not. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
antanas1452

Post by antanas1452 »

Moem wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am
antanas1452 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am I installed Mint not for the Linux part but in hope of getting out of Windows claws
Hello and welcome! Can you explain this part, if you don't mind? I don't understand what you mean here.
"I installed Mint not for the Linux part"
I believe there are people who enjoy Linux for the idea behind it. Open source code and non profit organisation. I on the other hand was here for the functionality and experience of the software.

"but in hope of getting out of Windows claws"
From what I heard gaming on Mac is not the greatest so the only other choice I know is Linux.

After getting annoyed how Windows forces updates on you, comes with bloatware/apps (which some you arent even allowed to uninstall) and the whole data collection Microsoft is getting criticized for (I don't know what they do with it for better or for worse but people are upset about it so I should be too /s) I decided I have some spare time so I'll go ahead and try out Linux.
antanas1452

Post by antanas1452 »

Also thank you guys for the feedback :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

antanas1452 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm I believe there are people who enjoy Linux for the idea behind it. Open source code and non profit organisation. I on the other hand was here for the functionality and experience of the software.
Okay, yeah, that makes more sense. Although I do believe that for many or most people it's a combination of those reasons, as well as others.
antanas1452 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm From what I heard gaming on Mac is not the greatest so the only other choice I know is Linux.
Well, there are others... but to get your feet wet without falling off from a steep learning curve (how's that for mixing metaphors), and enjoy a reasonably user friendly system, I think you made a good choice.

As for data collection... it doesn't even have to mean they are using it for something nefarious. Data can get stolen. It happens every day. That alone is a pretty good reason to want some control over where yours goes!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”