Usability reports

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Davide

Re: Usability reports

Post by Davide »

I have just switched from Windows Vista to Linux Mint Gloria after (probably) a virus deleted about 25 GB of my files and my try to reinstall Vista after formatting the hard disk did fail, maybe because of the medium, maybe because of vLite.

It's the easiest and most beautiful Linux-experience for me after trying several distros out there searching for the right one.
It has good support for my laptop. Okay, but hibernation failures (maybe I will try out TuxOnIce later) and I've got problems with my sound card. When I plug in my boxes I hear sound from the boxes AND from the boxes integrated in my msi-laptop. I've already played around a bit with the controls.
The only free operating system that makes no problem with my sound is OpenSolaris 2009.06. With "every" Linux-distro I have the same problem as I got it with Gloria. Oh, and no free operating system, not even Gloria, does support my USB-webcam :(.
Aaand the go-forward and go-backward-extra-buttons of my hama-mouse do function in Firefox, but NOT in Nautilus.
(I'm talking about out-of-the-box experience)

This is the software I have installed additionally:

- I have replaced Rythmbox with Banshee (I like more Banshees design and for my use it's far better than Rythmbox)
- Picasa (It's simply great, I can edit my photos, organize them, create collages, create slideshows, import new photos, upload to my Picasa Web-account)
- Replaced Pidgin with aMsn (I have used Windows Live Messenger under Vista, now, aMsn has a far better WLM-network-compatibility than Pidgin, I can write and receive offline-messages, send and receive webcam-stream, send and receive almost all winks and emoticons.)
- WINE (maybe this should be default, so the newbe that installs Mint, can install a Windows-application automatically)
- Screenlets
- Wakoopa Tracker
- VirtualBox OSE (that's also great, I'm running Windows 7 RC on it)
- VLC (this should be the default player I think, together with Banshee as the multimedia management tool)
- Replaced the default scan-utility with Xsane (it works much better with my HP-scanner)

These are other tweaks that I've made for improving my personal usage:

- Opacity in Compiz (see my screenshot) (this should be standard, if graphics card supported)
- GRUB bootloader timeout shortened (You could shorten it by default to 3 seconds)
- Cube activated in Compiz (again...why not standard?)
- in Compiz, changed the behaviour of the windows, the animations for closing, opening and minimizing. I propose this as new standard: opening: Curved Fold, closing: Horizontal Folds, minimizing: MAgic Lamp
- Repristined the original Google-search in the searchbox in Firefox
- Removed "Computer" and "Personal directory"-shortcuts from the desktop (this should also be default, and, why isn't the name of the home-folder named like the name of the user of the account...or something more personal like that?)

It would be nice, if, in the Mint-Menu everytime that I close it and reopen it I'd see my favourites applications. If I search a certain application by clicking on "All applications" and then close the menu, it remains that way. It should open by default at Favourites at the right side. The same problem is when I type somethin in the filter and then close it. When I reopen the Mint-menu I see still what I've typed in minutes...hours before :(.
Why is the shortcut for the menu Ctrl+Super? Why not simply Super, as in Windows?

Why doesn't Gloria automatically detects if there's an external display connected or not? I have to change the Display preferences every time i plug out and in my TFT, that's not cool [as in Vista].

I don't know how installing Xflux, the Linux-variant of F.lux. I used F.lux under Vista. It changed the brightness and contrast of my display when it gets late, that's awesome for my eyes. So, if someone has already installed it, may I know how?
This little great tool is still beta I think...but when it's stable, please add it to Mint!!

And why didn't you choose Go OpenOffice rather than OpenOffice.org? Take a look at: http://www.go-oo.org, I've used it already in Vista and I think openSUSE uses it, it's great!

And, what I've already submitted as candidate "Paper cut" to the Ubuntu-project is the request of a default integrated script in Nautilus for hide files.
Last edited by Davide on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Re: Usability reports

Post by DrHu »

littleponyboy wrote:Workspaces:
(X) There was no workspaces and no switcher by default. This brings me to the idea to offer a 'start here' desktop icon like 'Configuring your desktop' with some proposals what to do next (if desired), so that even window users would be able to fast discover the advantages of linux.
(X) Workspace switcher doesn't have a keyboard shortcut config option. Missing that since long.
Mainly Gnome menu structure issues
http://allhotkeys.com/gnome_hotkeys.html
Gnome issue, they use the middle mouse button or a tap on the mouse wheel, if you have that type
I added right-click add to Panel Window Selector, finding it easier and more useful than either the worplace switcher or or the Window List options

It is not the same as kde's windows/worplaces switcher, which simply allows you to jump to a new window and open whatever is running or available (minimized) in that workplace/window
littleponyboy wrote:(X) Applying changes is hell slow (should need only half a second, instead of up to 5)
Might be the Compz screen animations/effects being enabled
--I just turn off cpmpiz and everything works quicker, even though I have a accelerated video driver running (nvidia)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”