Increased text-shadows on Desktop

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Increased text-shadows on Desktop

Post by Mumrik93 »

I've just recently migrated to Linux from windows and so far i love it, I'm using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) and it's working great, but as time has past and I've started to change wallpapers a few times over the weeks I've realized that Linux Mint lacks apparent text-shadows (under the desktop-icons) I did a quick search and i cant find that many people with this problem (to most it might not be a problem?). I find this troublesome since it really strains my eyes if i use a bright background, the text almost fades into the background.

I've been asking around on the forum for a while ( viewtopic.php?f=90&t=282853&sid=1d9d194 ... b7a921fa1e )
and we've ended up being a little group who rolled ideas on how to increase the shadows, but sadly we didn't manage to solve it. I know that other desktops such as KDE (which i considered using before i chose Cinnamon) and *sigh* Windows, has more apparent text-shadows.

So basically I'm wondering if it's possible to have the text-shadows increased by default? Or event better, make it possible to increase them trough the settings?
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Increased text-shadows on Desktop

Post by Mumrik93 »

Took a couple more screenshots comparing my Cinnamon-desktop with a KDE-desktop. The difference is quite big and KDE does come out on top here, the shadows making the text easily readable. Wish i could upload a fullscreen image and not edited ones, but those are too big to upload here :(

Note!*
I'm using a bold font on Cinnamon while the one on KDE is a regular one. It makes it a bit easier to read, especially if the background image has a darker tone, but it's still pretty hard if it's a brighter background.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You might be interested in these discussions on the Nemo github.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... c388503751

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1658
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 am You might be interested in these discussions on the Nemo github.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... c388503751

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1658
Looks really interesting! Sadly i cant find the correct .css file to try it out :(
Tried editing my current themes gtk.css, the Adwaita themes gtk.css, the Linux Mint -> Cinnamon gtk.css (also in the theme section) and the Mint-Y gtk.css file as well, but none resulted in any difference even after rebooting :( I might be editing the wrong .css files, i'm still a noob when it comes to this after all, but i dont know where else to look.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

There's nothing to try out other than downloading the source code, editting it and recompiling Nemo.

The defaults are hardcoded into Nemo and can't be overwritten or themed by external themes anymore as far as I am aware.

Edit to add looking at the code and how GTK sets it's priorities for CSS sources it should still be possible to override with user set CSS in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css. I couldn't get it to work earlier though.
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:01 am There's nothing to try out other than downloading the source code, editting it and recompiling Nemo.

The defaults are hardcoded into Nemo and can't be overwritten or themed by external themes anymore as far as I am aware.

Edit to add looking at the code and how GTK sets it's priorities for CSS sources it should still be possible to override with user set CSS in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css. I couldn't get it to work earlier though.
Mm this sounds a bit too advanced for a newbie like me to handle, i should probably leave it for the time being. Cross my fingers that there might be a easier way in the future to increase the shadows.
Thanks for the help though! Appreciate it!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's not hard. And it does actually still work - I just wasn't taking the right steps to get the over-ride to take in testing. Screens are from Cinnamon 4.0.9 / Mint 19.1

In all cases you need a file in your home folder called ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css with the following content and save.

One saved press Alt-F2 to bring up the run dialog. Enter pkill nemo-desktop. Press Alt-F2 again and enter nemo-desktop. Repeat this after any edits.

Example 1

Code: Select all

.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item {
    color: #fff;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px #000;
}

Example 2

text-shadow: 2px 2px 3px #000;
}

Example 3

text-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #000, 0px 0px 2px #000;
}
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

For your chosen Controls/GTK theme theme to have more control over the hover and selected effects you can also try this content for ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (buildng on example 3 above).

text-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #000, 0px 0px 2px #000;
}
.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item:hover {
    background-color: alpha(@theme_selected_bg_color, 0.33);
    background-image: none;
}
.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item:selected {
    background-color: @theme_selected_bg_color;
    background-image: none;
    color: @theme_selected_fg_color;
    text-shadow: none;
}
Mint-Y theme - Hover....

Selected
Mumrik93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mumrik93 »

Oh my god, it really works! It looks great! I'm saving this conversation to my dropbox, aint letting myself forget how to do this again!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help a noob out! Now my desktop looks perfect!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Using this instruction and considering CSS is still CSS as far as the CPU is concerned, I started looking for better solutions (cuz text shadow as shown above isn't really my style) and eventually found the perfect one! It even has its own generator of outlining code. And with some minor tweaking I got the text of my desktop icons to what I needed. Here's a screenshot of the result:

Don't worry, ofc I'm gonna share my findings, I just wanted you to see the result first. :)
So, this is the address. Let the desktop tinkering start now! :mrgreen:

https://html-css-js.com/css/generator/text-shadow/
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Valsodar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:55 pm Using this instruction and considering CSS is still CSS as far as the CPU is concerned, I started looking for better solutions (cuz text shadow as shown above isn't really my style) and eventually found the perfect one! It even has its own generator of outlining code. And with some minor tweaking I got the text of my desktop icons to what I needed.
Something like this? :) That's a handy little tool.

text-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #000000, 2px 2px 2px #000000, -2px -2px 2px #000000, -2px 2px 2px #000000, 2px -2px 2px #000000, -2px 0px 2px #000000, 2px 0px 2px #000000, 0px -2px 2px #000000, 0px 2px 2px #000000;
}

Or maybe...

text-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #000, 1px 1px #000, 1px -1px #000, -1px 1px #000, -1px -1px #000, 1px 0px #000, 0px 1px #000, -1px 0px #000, 0px -1px #000;
}
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

smurphos wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 am Something like this? :) That's a handy little tool.
Like this:

color: white;
   text-shadow: 2px 2px 0 #000000, 2px -2px 0 #000000, -2px 2px 0 #000000, -2px -2px 0 #000000, 2px 0px 0 #000000, 0px 2px 0 #000000, -2px 0px 0 #000000, 0px -2px 0 #000000;
}
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”