Software for repository

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ceecrb1

Software for repository

Post by ceecrb1 »

I was wondering how software can be added to the offical repository.

I'm suggesting this:
https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/

It is ChamSys Magicq a lighting desk control software which is coded for debian based systems and is used professionally worlwide in concerts, television and events.

The consoles they sell are all running on their own debian based OS and the software can be installed on windows and mac but runs butter smooth on linux..

Just seems like a great idea to have it, I am the administrator of their facebook group and having the ability to tell any users to just download mint and search it in the software manager and hit install would be brilliant!!
Schallaven

Re: Software for repository

Post by Schallaven »

Are you willing to maintain the software then in the repository for the next years (it is not only uploading software, but for example maintaining the dependencies!)? This is actually always a major concern when adding software to any repository.

If you want an easier way of installing, you can always set up your own PPA, maintain it, and tell users to just add it :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Software can be added to Debian/Ubuntu and that way will also become available on future Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint releases. Or a flatpak can be made for it and added on https://flathub.org/ and that way it becomes available on Linux Mint 18.3 and newer through Software Manager.

The software you're suggesting appears to be non-free software (proprietary, without source code available). It's unclear under what license it's distributed, other than that they say it's "free" (with which they mean only gratis). As such probably only Chamsys can do the work to package this program for any repository. The fact that you need to disclose personal details to be able to download the software doesn't bode well for the desire to have it in a repository. Likely their license (should be in the file you likely downloaded) forbids redistribution.
ceecrb1

Post by ceecrb1 »

Yeah I was just making the first post to see how viable an option it is before talking to them directly to work on the idea "oficially".

From what I read, it sounds more like a descicion the company owners and directors need to make as to wether they dedicate a member of staff to maintaining the uploads etc etc etc

It's definately not open source, but the software is totaly free to use, they make their money via the hardware sold. EG the software without any of their hardware as a few restricions (mostly to be honest in not having physical buttons and encoders to speed up the programming process, network syncing of backups and use of remote tablet apps etc).

I will admit, in the past they had a PPA, a few years ago they converted to just giving a direct link to the *.deb file from their site, so maybe they've already made their desicion on how much work they wish to do....

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”