Timeshift save locations (SOLVED - sort of)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Timeshift save locations (SOLVED - sort of)

Post by lsemmens »

I usually don't bother with timeshift always being prepared to re-install Linux when something goes awry. However. I have finally enabled timeshift and my first observation is that the save location for images is only on a local drive. Is there any chance of sending timeshift images to a networked drive.
Last edited by lsemmens on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Timeshift save locations

Post by wallyUSA »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:48 am I usually don't bother with timeshift always being prepared to re-install Linux when something goes awry. However. I have finally enabled timeshift and my first observation is that the save location for images is only on a local drive. Is there any chance of sending timeshift images to a networked drive.
@lsemmens, I have the same question. However, I would prefer to send it to an external drive.

Did you ever find out if this is possible?
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

It will go to an extUSB drive just fine.
I have done it many times.

and, I have it configured to go to a separate partition, which is like to an external drive.

TimeshiftLocation.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@AZgl1500, How do I tell it where to send it?
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:48 am I usually don't bother with timeshift always being prepared to re-install Linux when something goes awry. However. I have finally enabled timeshift and my first observation is that the save location for images is only on a local drive. Is there any chance of sending timeshift images to a networked drive.
No - Timeshift requires a Linux filesystem.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

wallyUSA wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 pm @AZgl1500, How do I tell it where to send it?
like this: note that sda4 is where my /backup partition lives ( which could be your extUSB drive )
TS location.png

at a minimum, just have it save Daily snapshots, that is all you need.
TS Daily.png
just accept the Defaults in this screen
Defaults.png
Now, just click on CREATE in the next screen.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm
Can a file system be established on the external media and mounted for the timeshift (on demand)?

ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Sure, that's not an issue. I was responding to the OP's question about network shares.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm Sure, that's not an issue. I was responding to the OP's question about network shares.
OK, thanks. I guess I was asking a similar question but maybe I should started a new thread? Sorry!

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm
I have worked that one out, Thanks, anyway. FWIW. My network is entirely Linux and I rarely plug in USB drives to my Laptop for that reason. I can see everything I need on my network. My problem is, with timeshift active it rapidly fills my SSD on my lappy (128Gb). I'd best flag this as Abandoned, so others don't wander down this rabbit hole. :mrgreen:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 pm
I have worked that one out, Thanks, anyway. FWIW. My network is entirely Linux and I rarely plug in USB drives to my Laptop for that reason. I can see everything I need on my network. My problem is, with timeshift active it rapidly fills my SSD on my lappy (128Gb). I'd best flag this as Abandoned, so others don't wander down this rabbit hole. :mrgreen:
Timeshift should never be allowed to save to the same SSD/HDD as the OS is on, it should always be on a separate drive or partition. or, as you noted, it will soon fill up the free space.

I just today, erased all of my old Timeshift folders, because I did a fresh install, and the old ones are not relevant now.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”