Mint site appearance

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
quernelpanic

Mint site appearance

Post by quernelpanic »

Is there a plan to change the look on the main site?

Not critisizing per se, but it looks like 8 years ago. I think Mint deserves a 2019 site looks.

And it's not just the looks, but to be friendlier to the those landing in the site for the first time.

Example these icons:

The page is not responsive, so you can't see it rigth on every device.

Mind me , I'm not complaining, I just would like the site of my preferred Linux to be responsive, beautiful and modern. I would also love to be part on any effort to achieve this.
quernelpanic

Re: Mint site appearance

Post by quernelpanic »

There's even broken html in the source code of the page.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Team.LinuxMint.com is an fairly small crew,
& as such, I'd not hold out too much hope of any change. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Pierre wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm the Team.LinuxMint.com is an fairly small crew,
plus it is serving it's purpose very well as is
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i really think the site is serving its purpose and as the mint team can only do so much, using their resources on the development of the system should be their top priority
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Quote from https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3724
Another area we’re working on is the Linux Mint website. We purchased some beautiful designs and we’re selecting them and adapting them to turn www.linuxmint.com (and eventually also community.linuxmint.com) into websites which look more modern and which look good no matter what device you browse them with.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
quernelpanic

Post by quernelpanic »

all41 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 pm
Pierre wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm the Team.LinuxMint.com is an fairly small crew,
plus it is serving it's purpose very well as is
I think it's beyond serving the purpose, which can be argued. For example, as the site is not responsive, anybody who lands in the site from their phone, won't have a proper view of the site.

Navigate a site, in my opinion, should be a friendly, ease and pleasant experience, which in turn may attract more people.

But of course I'm talking from the point of view of a web developer, wich is the reason I made the post. I'd love to make a new site for Mint. :D
quernelpanic

Post by quernelpanic »

smurphos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 am Quote from https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3724
Another area we’re working on is the Linux Mint website. We purchased some beautiful designs and we’re selecting them and adapting them to turn www.linuxmint.com (and eventually also community.linuxmint.com) into websites which look more modern and which look good no matter what device you browse them with.
It would seem a direct response yo my post hahah! Thank you.

:D :D :D :D
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

quernelpanic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 am It would seem a direct response yo my post hahah! Thank you.

:D :D :D :D
They responded to your post 11 days before you made it. :wink:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

quernelpanic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

But of course I'm talking from the point of view of a web developer, wich is the reason I made the post. I'd love to make a new site for Mint. :D

As a volunteer of course
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

don't do it man. antergos linux forum has what you might call a modern theme, it may look nice for a few minutes until you start using it and you realize the screen is covered by banners and floating user icons taking up most of the page. you are limited to barely a quarter of the screen when posting comments or editing them.
mint forum although bland as it may be serves quite well, especially on a small mobile phone

maybe shuffling some colors will give you a brand new look, but please don't change the layout.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

FWIW, I think the mint website and forum are both nicer looking and easier to use than the site and forum for (forum.)manjaro.org
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Personally I couldn't care less what the web site looks like as long as it's functional. And if modernising it means illegible grey text and invisible scroll bars I would dislike it even more.
Cliff Coggin
gm10

Post by gm10 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 am And if modernising it means illegible grey text and invisible scroll bars I would dislike it even more.
:lol: :lol: :P
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I think it's great that the Mint team are looking at updating the main site. Been thinking for a few years it needs change. There's a number of things that could be improved, e.g, a responsive layout etc, but for me the most important thing is the actual homepage.

Imagine you know absolutely nothing about Linux Mint, i.e you don't even know what it is, and you land there. It should tell you straight away it is an alternative to other OS's, and that it comes prebuilt with a standard set of apps to meet most normal user requirements. It should lead the visitor through a sequence of steps that further educate them, engaging their interest and curiosity as they proceed.

There should be a CTA that invites the visitor to download an appropriate ISO, making it clear they can create a bootable Live USB and try out LM without compromising their existing system.

The initial presentation should be in simple language with a clear and logical layout. The supporting pages could provide the more complex info, but you've got to grab attention from the start.

My other question circles around the description of LM as a 'project'. That, to me, might deter some potential users. Is it something that isn't market ready so to speak. I know there's no commercial aspect to LM and the team aren't into marketing as such, but at this stage isn't it more of a product than a project?

I'm a happy LM user for a number of years now. I've never felt the need to distro hop, I don't use any other OS other than Windows in a VM for a specific Canon App, and it has met all my needs for both business (web development) and pleasure. I've had very minimal problems, and never one that hasn't been overcome. For me it doesn't feel like a 'project'.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
quernelpanic

Post by quernelpanic »

all41 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm
quernelpanic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

As a volunteer of course
:D Of course
quernelpanic

Post by quernelpanic »

trytip wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm don't do it man. antergos linux forum has what you might call a modern theme, it may look nice for a few minutes until you start using it and you realize the screen is covered by banners and floating user icons taking up most of the page. you are limited to barely a quarter of the screen when posting comments or editing them.
mint forum although bland as it may be serves quite well, especially on a small mobile phone

maybe shuffling some colors will give you a brand new look, but please don't change the layout.
About the forum, not my intent at all. Also it's a predesigned software, phpBB, with it's own functionality.

It's not the same as the main site, wich is mainly a provider of info. The better the info is presented, the more engaging it is for new users, in my opinion.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...not really a comment on aesthetics, more in regards to documentation...
Say when landed on the 'Download' page: https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=261

1) Release Notes should be somehow highlighted in a more obvious / in-your-face manner i believe...
Where 'i believe' = the amount of people in the forums that are not aware or haven't read such is...alarming.
2) In the very same page, the Installation Guide should also be highlighted in a more obvious & in-your-face manner i believe...
Currently it's not even hyperlinked there, only in previous pages...
Where 'i believe' = the amount of people in the forums that are download-iso-ask-questions-later is equally...alarming.

...sure, someone can't really fix some people's either potential laziness or broken straight-to-download-clicky-clicky mentality.
But people should still be encouraged in a somewhat more direct manner to read Rel Notes / the Installation Guide beforehand...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Since this thread is a bit here and there, if you guys want to create a concise collection of suggestions (bullet points, ideally grouped by applicable section of the page, links to examples of what you mean would be helpful) then I'll make sure Clem sees it. He's already hard at work on the new site but I can tell you he's no artist, so I'm sure he'll welcome the input. ;)

Content suggestions will be easier to implement than design suggestions, at least I'm not sure how much he wants to deviate from the themes he has bought (i.e. this won't be a design from the ground up).
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

OK here are my bullet points
> Dont't change the forum site
> Don't change the Linux Mint main site (OK fix the broken link)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”