Mint site appearance

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint site appearance

Post by cliffcoggin »

majpooper wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 pm
OK here are my bullet points
> Dont't change the forum site
> Don't change the Linux Mint main site (OK fix the broken link)
Seconded.
Cliff Coggin
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Seems like a few would sooner leave the main site asis, but as a general question how often do existing users here actually visit the site? Maybe on occasion to get a download link when there's a new release, or possibly to click on a documentation link (which is held on a separate site anyway). I'd imagine that users who engage with the LM community probably visit/use the forum, or keep up to date via the blog.

So what is the purpose of the main site? Isn't it primarily meant to attract new users? If so, it can be improved.

What am I missing?
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 pm
Seems like a few would sooner leave the main site asis, but as a general question how often do existing users here actually visit the site? Maybe on occasion to get a download link when there's a new release, or possibly to click on a documentation link (which is held on a separate site anyway). I'd imagine that users who engage with the LM community probably visit/use the forum, or keep up to date via the blog.

So what is the purpose of the main site? Isn't it primarily meant to attract new users? If so, it can be improved.

What am I missing?
Speaking strictly for myself, I'd agree with most of that. However, I personally don't see that much wrong with the site. If I were looking for a new OS for my COMPUTER, I doubt I'd be using my phone to search for one.

That said, I really think most of this thread is now irrelevant until the site revamp is finished, except for gm10's request.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Ok, maybe something along these lines...

* Responsive layout : this will happen by default as Clem is acquiring a new theme.
* Home Page Headline : simple statement above the fold explaining what LM is, and that it's free.
* Home Page Sub-headline : Succinct description of benefits of LM, strong community, global users, great online support via forum etc.
* Home Page Call To Action (CTA) : link to a page where visitors can download ISO of choice (with supporting info detailing the differences).
* Home Page Images (or video) : highlighting what LM looks like and how it meets the needs of typical users.
* Home Page Additional Content : more detailed overview of the features and benefits of LM.
* Home Page Closing Statement : In existence since 2006, one of the most popular Linux distributions used by millions of users worldwide, free, etc.
* Home Page : repeat the CTA.

Social Media: keep links to FB & Twitter, but consider opening them in a new browser tab as opposed to the same window. Possibly also add FB and Twitter 'Share' buttons somewhere on the site (sidebar / footer)?

Navigation: Use one main menu with dropdowns as appropriate, and remove any duplications. Make 'Documentation' a top level item?

The content for all supporting pages seems to already exist, by and large, on the current site. How this is presented on the new layout will probably fall into place quite naturally once the main navigation is sorted.

SEO: If I do a Google search for 'Linux Operating System', LM appears somewhere around page six in the results. If Clem is using a WP theme for the new site there are some decent SEO plugins that would help with optimisation. Content, keywords, etc.

If I think of anything else I'll add it, but hopefully some food for thought anyway.
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

When I was looking to replace Windows on my rig, there was nothing about Mint's website that turned me off.
So what's wrong with it? (Hint: Nothing!)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm
When I was looking to replace Windows on my rig, there was nothing about Mint's website that turned me off.
So what's wrong with it? (Hint: Nothing!)
https://bit.ly/2SEjJti

Seriously though, simply by switching to a responsive theme will help with search results (Google penalises non-responsive layouts). I keep coming back to how potential new users perceive things though. Ideally you want to turn them on :)
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I imagine that anybody determined to switch to Linux and capable of doing so is not going to be deterred by what are perceived to be a lack of bells and whistles on the Mint web site. Conversely anybody who is put off by any such lack is not going to succeed with the infinitely more demanding task of changing from whatever OS he currently uses. Let's not be deceived into believing style is more important than substance.
Cliff Coggin
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

I change comes, things like what happened over at OCN and 90% left the sight.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”