inxi suggestion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
gm10

Re: inxi suggestion

Post by gm10 »

Schallaven wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm How about "Copy for Forum use" and "Copy for Hexchat/IRC use"? The first button could already add the code tags for the forum :mrgreen:
Yes, that's better. And first button already does. ;)
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Well, then deploy! :mrgreen:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schallaven wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:20 pm Well, then deploy! :mrgreen:
Will have to talk to Clem when he's back about what we do with this, if this catches on it's something we'll want to backport to all Mint versions rather than just stick into 19.2.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

This is what I assumed and hoped, yes :D
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cinnamon already has a System Info menu entry with an upload system info button. Currently (Cinnamon 4.0.9) that button uploads inxi -Fxzr output to termbin and opens the output in a browser.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

smurphos wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 am Cinnamon already has a System Info menu entry with an upload system info button. Currently (Cinnamon 4.0.9) that button uploads inxi -Fxzr output to termbin and opens the output in a browser.
Huh, I didn't know that used Inxi. I've always just manually run Inxi in a terminal.

Do the other DE flavors that Mint comes in, MATE and Xfce, have something similar?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

jaymot wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:11 am Huh, I didn't know that used Inxi. I've always just manually run Inxi in a terminal.

Do the other DE flavors that Mint comes in, MATE and Xfce, have something similar?
Don't think so - so if gm10 manages to convince Clem this is a good idea as a generic Mint Tool it will either have to replace the existing Cinnamon Settings module (which clearly no-one knows about anyway :roll: :wink: ) or if Clem wants to keep it as a Cinnamon module so that Cinnamon users in other distros still have it it might need to be tweaked to match the Mint tool in it's options and display. There are probably other ways around it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

smurphos wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:18 am the existing Cinnamon Settings module (which clearly no-one knows about anyway :roll: :wink: )
I've always avoided pressing that button. I don't want who-knows-what uploaded to who-knows-where, especially when I don't even know what good it'll do me, if any.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:48 am
jaymot wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am (Mint's forum has a notice at the top of every help board to please run System Information in the menu and include its results when asking for help)
Me: (Reads the notice, runs System Information from the menu then posts)
So riddle me this: if many, many people now do not read viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444 which gives inxi -Fxz, even though it's linked from the top of every help board, why would they suddenly start reading this notice and acting upon it?

I think your idea is fine. But I may have less faith in people's ability and willingness to help us help them.
Maybe they would if that notice was edited to read
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help. Also, don't forget to include your system's minxi information in your message (run Minxi, click "copy for forum use" then right-click paste within your message.)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Moem wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:24 am I've always avoided pressing that button.
Yep - the tooltip could do with being more informative of what is being uploaded where and what to do to it.

Another option would be to build the minxi functionality into the existing System Reports tool which is available in all desktops.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 am Cinnamon already has a System Info menu entry with an upload system info button. Currently (Cinnamon 4.0.9) that button uploads inxi -Fxzr output to termbin and opens the output in a browser.
Considering the amount of people not knowing that/thinking of that, and who these people were, I think Moem's original point was so well made I probably just died laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the approach we took here has obvious advantages over the existing solution, but now it'll definitely have to be discussed first.
jaymot wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:11 am Do the other DE flavors that Mint comes in, MATE and Xfce, have something similar?
I'm using MATE so I've got an excuse for the Cinnamon thing (hah! :P) and no, it doesn't have anything like that as far as I'm aware. edit: It does however have a command-line version which Cinnamon uses when you click that button, it's part of the xapps-common package and called upload-system-info, which in turn calls /usr/bin/pastebin, which in turn, despite the name, calls /usr/bin/fpaste (if present) to upload to fpaste.org or otherwise it calls nc to upload to termbin.com. I guess whoever wrote that liked mazes...
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Good proposals all,but I think it is more useful to integrate an issue template.
Example Issue template Github
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Gruppo Sportivo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:10 am Good proposals all,but I think it is more useful to integrate an issue template.
You mean an input form in the tool to then copy & paste into the forums? Seems a bit much.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

gm10 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:12 am
Gruppo Sportivo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:10 am Good proposals all,but I think it is more useful to integrate an issue template.
You mean an input form in the tool to then copy & paste into the forums? Seems a bit much.
Perhaps this proposal goes too far and is overdone, but I am rather annoyed by the incomplete or no info at all that some members leave behind when they ask for assistance.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Moem's post reminds me of the Life cereal commercial with the three kids. I'm not pushing that button you push it. I' m not pushing it either lets get Mikey to push it. He won't push it he doesn't push anything unless clearly stated. :lol:
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Just to keep you guys in the loop, minxi tragically died before being born (never to be forgotten :P ) but Clem added similar functionality to mintreport (yet to be released).
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

gm10 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 pm Just to keep you guys in the loop, minxi tragically died before being born (never to be forgotten :P ) but Clem added similar functionality to mintreport (yet to be released).
I shall hold a wake. That is, if I can stay awake. :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”