Install Wine while Installing Mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
grady_vuckovic
Level 1
Level 1

Install Wine while Installing Mint

Post by grady_vuckovic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:00 pm

It would be fantastic in my opinion if Mint either included Wine as part of it's iso, or included a simple tickbox option to add Wine while installing. A lot of people struggle to install and setup Wine the first time, especially so if they're new to Linux, but for Windows converts it's usually one of the first applications they want on Linux for a variety of purposes. I've seen Wine preinstalled on other distros, such as Zorin, and given how out of date the version of Wine on the Software Center usually is, I think it would be great for new users to just include the Wine Stable PPA by default.

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install Wine while Installing Mint

Post by hcentaur13 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am

No, because wine is NOT windows. When I have to use windows apps the risk that wine does not work is high. play on linux instead may (or may not) work.

It is more comfortable to boot windows to play with windows. You can uns a virtual mashine to play with it. The riks to catch windows malware in wine in your linux is high too.

Windows software costs lots of money and it works good ony in windows, not in wine or play on linux, that is nothing than an extended try to run malware on an program that does try to make linux behave like the malware named windows.

Linux is NOT windows and will be never been.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”