Install Wine while Installing Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
grady_vuckovic
Level 1
Level 1

Install Wine while Installing Mint

Post by grady_vuckovic »

It would be fantastic in my opinion if Mint either included Wine as part of it's iso, or included a simple tickbox option to add Wine while installing. A lot of people struggle to install and setup Wine the first time, especially so if they're new to Linux, but for Windows converts it's usually one of the first applications they want on Linux for a variety of purposes. I've seen Wine preinstalled on other distros, such as Zorin, and given how out of date the version of Wine on the Software Center usually is, I think it would be great for new users to just include the Wine Stable PPA by default.
hcentaur13

Re: Install Wine while Installing Mint

Post by hcentaur13 »

No, because wine is NOT windows. When I have to use windows apps the risk that wine does not work is high. play on linux instead may (or may not) work.

It is more comfortable to boot windows to play with windows. You can uns a virtual mashine to play with it. The riks to catch windows malware in wine in your linux is high too.

Windows software costs lots of money and it works good ony in windows, not in wine or play on linux, that is nothing than an extended try to run malware on an program that does try to make linux behave like the malware named windows.

Linux is NOT windows and will be never been.
Nick-N
Level 1
Level 1

Newest version of wine pre-installed

Post by Nick-N »

Wonderful app and I think it should be pre-installed on new new version of Linux Mint

Thanks!
LanceM

Re: Newest version of wine pre-installed

Post by LanceM »

I don't. I don't use it. Never would.
Nick-N
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nick-N »

LanceM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm I don't. I don't use it. Never would.
Then what program do you use to run windows apps?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Nick-N wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm Wonderful app and I think it should be pre-installed on new new version of Linux Mint
And that would be yet another thing for 99% of users to uninstall.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Nick-N wrote: ... should be pre-installed on new new version of Linux Mint
As someone who doesn't use Windows apps, and feels that Wine introduces risk to systems, I'd prefer to have this not pre-installed, but continue to be available as an opt-in option for those that require it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Nick-N wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 pm Then what program do you use to run windows apps?
Hellooooo? Anyone home?

Linux <------

We use Linux because we don't want anything to do with Windows.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

We use Linux because we don't want anything to do with Windows.
Not quite as bad as Covid-19, but almost. :shock:
I have Win 10 totally separate for reference. Just updating it makes me sick.
Last edited by LanceM on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formolQC

Post by formolQC »

No.
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Suggestion: Click on .exe file open wine

Post by fmeneuhe »

Hi,
A suggestion. When you click on a .exe file and you have wine installed, run the .exe with wine automatically.
Last edited by fmeneuhe on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Suggestion: Click on .exe file open wine

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thiis forum isn't the place to suggest things like that, try the wine forums.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmeneuhe »

But is not Cinnamon who handle it?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Great suggestion! :D In particular, because here on my Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon this already works. :D
Just tried it.
Navigated to the Windows executable file ~/.wine/drive_c/Notepad2/Notepad2.exe in Nemo. Double-clicked on it, and the Windows editor Notepad2 got launched.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:34 amThis forum isn't the place to suggest things like that
In this specific case, it does not matter whether this is the right place to suggest a new feature to be implemented. The feature already works. Cf. my post above. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

fmeneuhe wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 amBut is not Cinnamon who handle it?
Strictly speaking: no. The same will work on my Mint 19.3 64-bit xfce as well.
It works, because during the Wine installation, the needed mime-type configuration has been added to the system, which makes sure that .exe files (Windows executables) are associated with the /usr/bin/wine Linux executable.
And this mime-type mechanism is not really dependent on the specific desktop environment, which you are using.
Lifeline
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmeneuhe »

karlchen wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:36 am Great suggestion! :D In particular, because here on my Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon this already works. :D
Just tried it.
Navigated to the Windows executable file ~/.wine/drive_c/Notepad2/Notepad2.exe in Nemo. Double-clicked on it, and the Windows editor Notepad2 got launched.
I must have something broken, or it does not work on Mint 20.
I tried the same with ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe and nothing happens.
And if a right click, under the "open with" context menu, the wine option is not there.
Either I have something broken or it does not work on Mint 20.
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmeneuhe »

karlchen wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 am
fmeneuhe wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 amBut is not Cinnamon who handle it?
Strictly speaking: no. The same will work on my Mint 19.3 64-bit xfce as well.
It works, because during the Wine installation, the needed mime-type configuration has been added to the system, which makes sure that .exe files (Windows executables) are associated with the /usr/bin/wine Linux executable.
And this mime-type mechanism is not really dependent on the specific desktop environment, which you are using.
If I have broken this mime-type mechanism, do you know how to fix it?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, fmeneuhe.

After right-clicking on ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe, select "Other application ..." from the context menu. Wine Windows Program Starter should be in the list.
(Here it is at the top of the list, because it has already been defined to be the default application to open .exe files.)
Click on [Make default].

HTH,
Karl
Lifeline
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fmeneuhe »

karlchen wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 am Hello, fmeneuhe.

After right-clicking on ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe, select "Other application ..." from the context menu. Wine Windows Program Starter should be in the list.
(Here it is at the top of the list, because it has already been defined to be the default application to open .exe files.)
Click on [Make default].

HTH,
Karl
That's the point, I do not have the "Wine Windows Program Started", I must have something broken. I will try to uninstall and install wine again.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”