File Sharing

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Lendal
Level 1
Level 1

File Sharing

Post by Lendal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:43 pm

File sharing over a home LAN between Mint and other PC's running either Linux, Mint, or Windows is currently an embarrassing failure. No, really. It is.

I'm an average PC user with years of experience under my belt successfully clicking on various things in Windows to make it do what I want.

Lately, I've spent literally hours trying to get Mint to share files with anything or anyone. Installing this. Installing that. Entering various esoteric commands in the Terminal window. Making all the various choices and selections in the SAMBA GUI interface. Modifying the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

So then Browse Network for the shares that are supposedly out there? Total failure.

Linux in general has a good long list of things to 'fix' so that mere mortals, such as me, might be able to click on this or that to get it to jump through our particular hoops. Then we could adopt it as our OS of choice for plain 'ol regular desktop use.

Could someone please get 'File Sharing' moved up on that list of things to fix for Linux Mint, maybe?

Thanks.

cool
Level 2
Level 2

Re: File Sharing

Post by cool » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Lendal wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:43 pm
File sharing over a home LAN between Mint and other PC's running either Linux, Mint, or Windows is currently an embarrassing failure. No, really. It is.
Here's a link to an article: How to Share Files Between Linux Computers Using NFS
https://www.wikihow.com/Share-Files-Bet ... -Using-NFS

I haven't try it yet, I just usually go for Dropbox or similar for file sharing.
For the very latest please visit: SpaceEdge

Lendal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lendal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks, Cool. I appreciate the reply.

However, here's a quote from the first step in the article you linked:

"Use NFS (Network File System) to share files between Linux computers on a local network. If you need to share files with Windows or Mac computers, you will be much more successful using Samba."

It's worrisome for me since it was written by someone who thinks I'm going to have any degree of success at all using "Samba". They obviously don't know me very well. And I really do need to share stuff with Windows devices and Android tablets as well as other Linux PC's. And, yeah, all those different things are on my own little home network.

Right now the Android devices (3) and Windows devices (3) are communicating back and forth with all the other devices on the LAN except the Linux Mint devices (2) which aren't talking to anybody. Including themselves.

But thanks, anyway. It's the thought that counts!

- Len

ps- I have a Gmail account so I'm going to start using Google Drive's 15Gb of free storage for sharing. It's a little cumbersome but I can get to it from all the devices on the network.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:22 am

Mint can't fix samba. Mint knows nothing about samba. Ubuntu knows a bit more about samba and I'm sure there are people at Debian that don't even know why they have samba in the repositories.

If you run Ubuntu 18.04 ( or any in the Ubuntu family like Xubuntu ) the moment you install samba ( as in sudo apt install samba ) that machine instantly - and I do mean instantly - becomes visible in the file managers of every other Linux and MacOS machine you may have on the network. It's seamless, predictable, and dependable. Ubuntu made that happen by choosing a newer version of samba and making a single change in how they create the samba package.

I don't remember ever reading about an issue with this in an all Linux / MacOS network where Ubuntu 18.04 is involved. Yet it happens all the time in the Mint forum. I honestly do not know why.

Interoperability with Windows remains a problem and we as Linux desktop users are pretty much on our own to resolve them.

I set up an Ubuntu Server 18.04 box recently. I installed samba and all of the Linux and MacOS machines could see and access its shares. Because all of the Windows machines were WIn10 I added a wsdd service and all of them could see and access its shares. Took me 5 minutes to set up.

Side note which you may have already discovered on your own: There are packages in the repository that claim to be samba GUI's. One of them ( system-config-samba ) won't even run unless you make changes and it has options that will disable samba from running. The other ( gadmin-samba ) is literally 2 generations behind and is destructive. The only reason they are still in the repositories is because Debian don't know any better.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Lendal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lendal » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input, Altair4. It is oddly somehow helpful for me to know that I'm not being singled out for the wrath of the minty Linux God of File Sharing. It really is true that misery loves company. And the deeper I get into this the more I am learning just how much misery there is here to spread around.

So, SAMBA... I'm just going to give up (for now, anyway) on file sharing between Mint and Win10 or Win7 and focus on why my other Mint PC can see this one but not see it's shares when I click on the Browse Network item in the navigation panel on the left side of it's File Manager window.

Step one will be to completely uninstall SAMBA on this machine. And, yes, there will be a certain satisfaction therein, I admit. I'll do the command line Apt-Get remove thing (I think that's right, we'll see...) and then I'll take a swing through the /etc directory and hunt down and delete anything with a 'SAMBA' or 'smb' label.

And, of course, reboot the PC, which always provides me with a comforting feeling of having power and control over the beast. However short lived that feeling may be...

Next, I'll go back into the File Manager and check to see that the "Shares" folder still exists and has the appropriate properties to make it 'Shared'. Caja is my file manager for now, anyway. I hated Caja at first but as time goes on I'm starting to accept it's odd quirks and crashes as being just part of the playful relationship Linux generally has with it's users. It's all in good fun.

Hopefully, I'll at least be able to get my two Linux Mint PC's talking to each other and managing to share their files with each other.

Well, wish me luck. I'll check back in when my therapist clears me for further interaction with other humans.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”