Checksum request within file properties

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
taith
Level 2
Level 2

Checksum request within file properties

Post by taith »

It would be nice to just right click on file properties, and be able to request to calculate checksum of most popular types like: MD5, SHA1, SHA256, CRC32.
Just right click on requested checksum and get the string to compare with.
gm10

Re: Checksum request within file properties

Post by gm10 »

Install the -gtkhash extension available for all default file managers.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I in fact recently noticed that on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon (i.e., Nemo) right-clicking an ISO gives the option to "Check SHA256" out of the box.
taith
Level 2
Level 2

Post by taith »

It'd be nice to have it as an option by default.
@gm10
Installed available nemo tool, generated hash to Mint 32 ISO downloaded using torrent, it generated wrong hash, while right click SHA256 on file generated proper value.
Conclusion is: plugin doesn't work properly, we should have existing built-in tool giving an option
Last edited by taith on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi taith,

If I am not mistaken, in Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x the file managers do have the ability to calculate a file's checksum value for comparing to a checksum value from a website or checksum file. If you paste the checksum value into the fieldbox before clicking calculate, it will compare the values green is good red is bad.

There is also the "gtkhash" application in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and other apps and console terminal command options.

Quickhash GUI - Cross-platform data hashing tool for Windows, Linux and OSX
https://quickhash-gui.org/

Hope this helps ...
Dolphin File Manager checksum
Dolphin File Manager checksum
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”