Have "Open a New Window" an Option instead of just Home icon

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
beelee
Level 1
Level 1

Have "Open a New Window" an Option instead of just Home icon

Post by beelee » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

was quite frustrated trying to figure this out. Terminal and Firefox both have these options but " Files" doesn't.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Have "Open a New Window" an Option instead of just Home icon

Post by smurphos » Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 am

Welcome to the forum beelee

A little bit more info would be helpful.

Which Mint version (18.3, 19, 19.1 etc), and which Desktop environment (Cinnamon/Mate/XFCE)?

Where are you launching from - menu, panel, or desktop?

Hint - a good idea is to provide the output of the command inxi -Fxxxzd in your support requests. Highlight the output in the terminal, right click and copy and then paste into your forum reply in between [code][/code] tags.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

beelee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beelee » Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi smurphos. Thanks for the welcome. I'm on 19.1 cinammon 64 bit. I have "files" pinned to the panel. On ubuntu 18.04 I can right click on files and it will say"open a new window" if I already have one open. Linux mint doesn't do that. You have to click on the "home" icon to open another window. I found that not very intuitive.

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: greg-ThinkPad-T420 Kernel: 4.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 wm: muffin 4.0.7 
  dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 4177Q5U v: ThinkPad T420 
  serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: 4177Q5U serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO 
  v: 83ET82WW (1.52 ) date: 06/04/2018 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 44.5 Wh condition: 44.5/47.5 Wh (94%) volts: 12.5/10.8 
  model: SANYO 42T4848 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full 
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 
  serial: <filter> charge: 55% rechargeable: yes status: Discharging 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-2520M bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19935 
  Speed: 1040 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 842 2: 797 
  3: 797 4: 797 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0126 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.8 
  compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  chip ID: 8086:1c20 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-48-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo ThinkPad T520 
  driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5080 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:1502 
  IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi 
  v: kernel port: efa0 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 8086:0085 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 530.98 GiB used: 20.36 GiB (3.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST320LT007-9ZV142 size: 298.09 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7242 rpm serial: <filter> rev: LVM1 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: CB6Q scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 23.34 GiB used: 8.26 GiB (35.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 
  ID-2: /home size: 204.76 GiB used: 12.10 GiB (5.9%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2958 
Info:
  Processes: 196 Uptime: 14m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 1.20 GiB (15.6%) 
  Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 alt: 7 Shell: bash 
  v: 4.4.19 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.27 
~
(END)

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm

beelee wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 pm
Hi smurphos. Thanks for the welcome. I'm on 19.1 cinammon 64 bit. I have "files" pinned to the panel. On ubuntu 18.04 I can right click on files and it will say"open a new window" if I already have one open. Linux mint doesn't do that. You have to click on the "home" icon to open another window. I found that not very intuitive.
Is that a Grouped Window List applet issue? Because usually you just have to left-click to open a new window. Also feature requests or bug reports, as the case may be here, are better placed on github, but as you can see from our responses, you'll have to be more specific.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri May 10, 2019 1:12 am

Hi,

If you go into the grouped window-list preference (right click on any pinned app > Preferences > Configure) you can set a middle-click to open a new instance. This will apply to any app, irrespective of what the right click context menu offers.

The options available on the right click context menu are defined as Actions in the applications .desktop file. If there are none defined grouped window list defaults to adding a New window action, but it if there are defined actions it doesn't - why? because some applications specifically define a New window action (notably Firefox, Chromium, Gnome terminal) and you'd get a duplicate entry.

For Nemo (aka Files) the desktop file is /usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop and it does have the Home, Computer and Trash defined as actions.

You can edit the nemo.desktop file to change Home to New window, or add New window as an extra action.

Make a local user copy of this file in ~/.local/share/applications with this command.

cp /usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
Then open to edit with

xed ~/.local/share/applications/nemo.desktop
The important bit is this (note I've snipped all the translations of the line Name=Home)

Actions=open-home;open-computer;open-trash;

[Desktop Action open-home]
Name=Home
<snipped translations of Name=Home>
Exec=nemo %U
Either change Home to New Window.

Actions=new-window;open-computer;open-trash;

[Desktop Action new-window]
Name=New window
<snipped translations of Name=Home>
Exec=nemo %U
or add New window as an extra entry.

Actions=new-window;open-home;open-computer;open-trash;

Name=New window
Exec=nemo %U
Once edited - Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart Cinnamon.
Last edited by smurphos on Fri May 10, 2019 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm
Is that a Grouped Window List applet issue? Because usually you just have to left-click to open a new window. Also feature requests or bug reports, as the case may be here, are better placed on github, but as you can see from our responses, you'll have to be more specific.
Left click is user configurable in the grouped-window-list. For a pinned app with no open instances it will launch the app, but if there are open instances it's behaviour can be user-defined. The default action it to bring the last focused window in that group back into focus.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 am

My bad, I meant "usually" as in "when not using the grouped window list applet", for the other applets/panels default to (re-)launching upon left-click. He's saying "Linux Mint doesn't do that" when in fact all of Linux Mint defaults to that behaviour except for that one applet. Personally I don't mind the potential duplication of options by e.g. the mate-panel always adding a "Launch" option as the first option, it adds consistency, but I guess that's why we've got the choice of what desktop/panel to run. :)

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am

Yep - Cinnamon's panel launchers do the same as Mate - have a Launch option. They also support actions but don't remove the Launch if actions are present - so for Gnome terminal for example on right click you get both Launch and New terminal options which are functionally equivalent.

If there is a 'bug' here it's with Nemo in calling it's New window action Home. Given that there is already redundancy here anyway (as the context menu also has a Places submenu which includes Home) I think there is an argument to renaming it New window, and maybe adding a 2nd New window (Admin) action.

Or maybe the grouped-window-list should always add the New window option irrespective of whether the app defines actions or not....guaranteeing redundancy in some cases but following what the panel launcher applet already does.

@beelee - if you wanted to suggest changes I'd do it as a feature request here https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues if you think changing the nemo desktop file action name is what should happen or here https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues if you think the grouped-window-list should always add a New window entry....

I can't decide ... :roll: :wink:

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:44 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am
If there is a 'bug' here it's with Nemo in calling it's New window action Home. Given that there is already redundancy here anyway (as the context menu also has a Places submenu which includes Home) I think there is an argument to renaming it New window, and maybe adding a 2nd New window (Admin) action.
"Home" isn't wrong though, without a path supplied as the argument Nemo will start out in the Home folder. But I guess it could be confused for Nemo navigating the already open window there (same would go for Nemo's other actions though). That's why I like the generic "Launch", nobody can mistake that. Or, in fact, I'm sure somebody out there will. :P

beelee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beelee » Fri May 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you for the replies and smurphos for the git link couldn't find it while searching over there. Very new to mint but am familiar with ubuntu and just had a hard time figuring out how to do what I wanted. I know how todo it now, so for me not a problem.

Just thought having "open a new window" as a default would be better for new users. Perhaps it is and I installed differently. I will go back through the comments.

I will do any future suggestions at git, where would be the the best place to ask questions here ? The newb site I assume ?

Thanks again

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sat May 11, 2019 12:43 am

beelee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:03 pm
Thank you for the replies and smurphos for the git link couldn't find it while searching over there. Very new to mint but am familiar with ubuntu and just had a hard time figuring out how to do what I wanted. I know how todo it now, so for me not a problem.

Just thought having "open a new window" as a default would be better for new users. Perhaps it is and I installed differently. I will go back through the comments.

I will do any future suggestions at git, where would be the the best place to ask questions here ? The newb site I assume ?

Thanks again
No worries - it's always a good idea to raise a query on the forum (whether it's a feature request, possible bug etc) before heading to git, just in case there is as easy solution, settings change etc or just to focus on what part of the desktop is causing the issue.

You haven't installed anything wrong. The difference you are seeing between Ubuntu and Cinnamon is that the default file manager in Gnome (Nautilus) defines one action in it's desktop file...

Actions=new-window;

Name=New Window
Exec=nautilus --new-window
Whilst Nemo in Cinnamon defines 3 - Home, Computer and Trash, with Home being functionally equivalent to New Window.

Ultimately it's a cosmetic issue, but if it's capable of causing confusion for a new user it's worthy of discussion....

Luckily if you know how i'ts not hard to change the defaults. Here is what mine looks like - with an extra open as Admin / Root entry and 'Computer' replaced by File-System.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:10 am

By the way, is it worth pointing out that Win+E is the default keybind to open a new Nemo window? Still the easiest option no matter what.

beelee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beelee » Sat May 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Great thank you

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”