Support touchpad gesture out-of-the-box with libinput-gesture

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
franckgaga
Level 1
Level 1

Support touchpad gesture out-of-the-box with libinput-gesture

Post by franckgaga » Thu May 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi,

Simple suggestion : I'm sure many people use Mint on their Laptop, hence using a touchpad and most of the newer touchpad support 3 finger swipe or pinch...

I think it would be a great idea to include libinput-gestures in the next releases. There is a simple, minimalist and beautiful configuration GUI already available that you could include in the system settings. I'm running Mint 19.1 Cinnamon edition on a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop and it was really easy to configure : i've followed the installation instruction and it just works ! In my point of view, a consistent default setting would be the same as the ctrl+alt+arrows default settings :
  • 3-finger swipe up : Expo View (ctl+alt+up)
  • 3-finger swipe down : Show all windows (ctl+alt+down)
  • 3-finger swipe right : Show left workspace (ctl+alt+left)
  • 3-finger swipe left : Show right workspace (ctl+alt+right)
since inverting the X-axis seems more natural (likewise two-finger scrolling). In the configuration GUI at command field, i simply used xdotool, e.g. for the 3-finger swipe up, command :

Code: Select all

xdotool key ctrl+alt+Up
I think it would be a neat addition to the default OS configuration !

Thanks for all your effort in this fantastic distribution!

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Support touchpad gesture out-of-the-box with libinput-gesture

Post by athi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:24 pm

I am all for this as long as it is an option and does not interfere with the previous touchpad behaviours. After 3 years of refusing to have anything to do with Win10, I finally have to configure and setup a bunch of Win10 laptops and I found to my horror that these touchpad gestures, 2 fingers scrolling etc. are now standard with Win10. A few laptop still will do the old touchpad usage (edge scrolling, 1 finger mouse movement etc.) but it is all depends on the make and driver of the touchpad. Relearning how to use the touchpad again was not a pleasant experience and I cannot tell you how nice it is to get back to use touchpad with Mint.

Call me old fashioned, but I am a function over form kind of guy and see PC as a tool and elected to use Mint (and later Mate) for its decision to stay with Gnome2 style desktop and its similarity to WinXP/Win7 desktop. This is the same reason that I do not use touch screen PC, if what you have is better why switch to a less accurate/capable interface. I understand the reason for touchscreen and accepted its usage on phone/tablets but can see no reason I have to accept inferior interface where it is not needed just for style/popularity.

End of rant.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”