Startup & Shutdown Sounds

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Crippled

Startup & Shutdown Sounds

Post by Crippled » Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 am

:idea: I suggest adding start up and shut down sounds for Linux mint Xfce that the user can change the sounds to their liking. I know it can be done on Xfce because MX Linux has it. I don't if the other flavours of Linux mint could be incorporated this feature into them but would be good to do so if possible.

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Startup &Shutdown Sounds

Post by RIH » Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 am

Cinnamon 19.1 certainly allows this..
sounds.png
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-62-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Mon May 27, 2019 12:49 am

Hi again Crippled.

This post has all the info you need. Toz is excellent at helping with all things Xfce and is the only active moderator on the Xfce forum.

Hope that helps.

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 am

MrEen wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:49 am
Hi again Crippled.

This post has all the info you need. Toz is excellent at helping with all things Xfce and is the only active moderator on the Xfce forum.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, but that's not what I am talking about. I am talking about a G.U.I. application that the user can put any sound file the chose for start up and a different one for shutdown. I tried that link and while the first command works, the second command doesn't work. Edit. I did find a way to get a start up sound that worked. It still would be nice for future releases of Linux Mint Xfce to have it set up like in the Cinnamon addition. Other versions as well.
Last edited by Crippled on Mon May 27, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Mon May 27, 2019 1:36 am

RIH wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 am
Cinnamon 19.1 certainly allows this..

sounds.png
That is not Xfce.

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Mon May 27, 2019 2:30 am

Crippled wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 am
It still would be nice for future releases of Linux Mint Xfce to have it set up like in the Cinnamon addition. Other versions as well.
I do agree with that statement. However, the Mint developers actually develop Cinnamon, and not Xfce. In MX Linux, Xfce is the default Desktop Environment, so their developers do a lot more work with Xfce than the Mint devs do. I don't really expect that to change unless and until some Xfce devs join the Mint team, and even then, Toz mentions this:
Notes:
Event sounds are a GTK thing - not an Xfce thing (Xfce is built using the GTK toolkit).
The canberra project extends GTK sound events to provide an interface to them (you use the canberra binaries and modules to play sound events).
Xfce simply provides an interface to enable or disable them.
Any problems with event sounds should really be directed towards GTK or canberra.
So I guess we really need a GTK dev to join the team who happens to like/use the Xfce DE to make some real progress in this department.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon May 27, 2019 2:48 am

it did seem that I've always had to Enable Gnome Log_In Sounds - - on both Cinnamon & on Mate DEs
- - I'm not running the LM XFCE at this moment, so don't know about that one.
the MX-Linux XFCE DE does also have Log_In Sounds - as well.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”