Linux Mint LXQt 20.* ?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint LXQt 20.* ?

Post by scjet45 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am

So we have Mint's:
Cinnamon - the best of the heavy-weights for all users.
Xfce, and MATE - the best of the medium-weights for all users.
LXQt - the (future) best of the light-weights for all users.

Remember when Cinnamon was started and developed from scratch, right here at LinuxMint,(with not much help from Gnome3 dev's).
Anyway, a LinuxMint LXQt sounds right about now, and Qt devs would also likely be enthusiastic and helpful.

Make it so, number one. ;)

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint LXQt 20.* ?

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Unlikely, considering KDE was dropped because the Mint team wanted to concentrate on Gtk-based desktops only. Also LXDE is the lightweight one, LXQt is about on par with Xfce last I checked. So if anything maybe a Mint LXDE, but I doubt it - Mint itself isn't geared for minimum resource usage and so the usual Mint apps would be slightly out of place in an LXDE environment.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Augmenting the above, and if I'm remembering correctly, there was an LXDE version of LM which was dropped when Cinnamon was introduced.

Not trying to imply that one was replacing the other (far from it), but I suspect resources weren't available to support both.

Joe

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:34 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:23 pm
I suspect resources weren't available to support both.
Or interest. Everybody can still install these desktops, they're available in Software Manager, but I'm not sure how much interest there is in a separate edition really. In times where your average web browser eats up a few gigs of RAM, does it really matter whether your desktop environment uses 200 or 300 MB of RAM? The few users that will answer in the affirmative are likely not worth creating a full Mint edition for. But I don't know the actual reasoning that led to dropping the Mint Lubuntu spin, either, I wasn't using Mint at the time.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:47 am

good answers all.
I didn't jump on Mint, (as my main distro), until 17, but it was interesting to find a Mint LXDE version, and even Fluxbox, starting way back in LinuxMint 8 "Helena" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Min ... on_history
... ah well, back to the future. ;)
And agreed, a user/beginner-friendly distro such as Mint will use slightly more resources, which is par for the course, and quite acceptable.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:46 am

I gave Debian 10 LXQt a spin just now and it's pretty slick looking. Much less confusing than KDE and much nicer than LXDE. But it doesn't top Linux Mint Xfce with the Whisker menu for me.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”