Installer,Choice,Theme,Performance.

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Level 1
Level 1

Installer,Choice,Theme,Performance.

Post by 1976 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 am

a)Installer:
1: Please allow the user to choose which packages do the user want to install but dont install the choices instantly after choosingthe programs insted ask the user to connect to internet to download the packages with the choosen packages in front ready to be clicked install to get installed to the system.Untill the user Clicks install or remove, dont remove the listing from the GUI package manager.
Note: Please dont change the way LiveMint/LiveUSB work but just after installation.
Advantage:
1: Gain in confidence in user about the distro's Security and Privacy.
2: Much Reduction in Size(Space the distro image takes in the storage).
3: Latest version of Packages(As some version updates of packages need a clean install of the program to work correctly).
4: More Personalised = more Satisfaction: The user has the packages which were chosen by him/her during installation and later confirmed by tapping install(seperately for each app and a 'install all' button at the top of install button of other apps in package manager and the place where these chosen packages will be visible will be in updates section of the package manager).

Beacause:
Few days back, i reinstalled Mint Tessa 19.1 to my system and firefox told me that firefox application is critically outdated so this is a clear waste of internet resources during the download of Mine 19.1 Image and what was the use of that iff firefox's next version needed a clean install so the above solution will solve all this.
b)Theme:
1: Please add the option to choose the user desired system theme in the mint installation process just after the "a)" gets continued by the user.
Advantage:
1: More User Personalisation(=Satisfaction) rather than wasting time in watching Linux Mint Installation SlideShow.
Because:
It is just a useless kind of thing to first cache the white theme and then user cache the dark theme ,so just let user to choose the theme.
c)Theme Request :
1: Please create a macOS/WindowsAero/iOS like frost/blur effect theme but without sacrifising the dark(dark≠Black) theme.
2: Please add a seperate column for choosing the colours of different themes rather than creating a different theme with just a color change.This will i think make the theme section more neater implementation.
Bonus: STOP Ubuntu from spoiling ur distro.Yesterday i was reading some Manjaro Linux Forum posts and users were complaining of slow Mint compared to Manjaro and were answered by others that Manjaro directly takes Arch as base so it has less bloat in kernel patches compared to Linux mint with debian>Ubuntu(Which makes drastic Bloat for users)>Mint ,and the problem here is Ubuntu which makes mint slow.And i also think that Mint is becoming more or less Ubuntu So please think over this that 'can Ubuntu be removed from base and take debian insted', i know debian editon is available too but why not main-stream it.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Installer,Choice,Theme,Performance.

Post by Pierre » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:02 am

whilst you obviously mean well,
- most of those 'suggestions' will never happen.

do note, that most of the "LinuxMint stuff" is inherited from 'upstream' that is from the Ubuntu Project.
& it's at that level, that any 'suggestions' would need to be addressed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 am

a) Quite clearly including a web browser is not a waste, otherwise the live environment wouldn't have one and you said yourself you didn't want that changed. Also your idea prevents an offline install, so I can confidently say that this will never happen.

b) You typically try not to front-load too much into the installer so as not to overwhelm the user. Most users will stick to the default theme, anyway, and those that want to change can do so easily after installation, so I'll say this is very unlikely to happen.

c)
1. Very unlikely to happen but you can find tons of third-party themes if you want something like that.
2. Only thing I agree with, I've always suggested to add a theme editor rather than bloat the installation with all those variations on the same theme ( 8) ). No very likely to happen though since nobody seems to want to tackle this for now.

Bonus: Now that's just nonsense. There's a Manjaro Cinnamon spin that you might be interested in though.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1976 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 am

Erased
Last edited by 1976 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1976 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 am
a) Quite clearly including a web browser is not a waste, otherwise the live environment wouldn't have one and you said yourself you didn't want that changed. Also your idea prevents an offline install, so I can confidently say that this will never happen.

b) You typically try not to front-load too much into the installer so as not to overwhelm the user. Most users will stick to the default theme, anyway, and those that want to change can do so easily after installation, so I'll say this is very unlikely to happen.

c)
1. Very unlikely to happen but you can find tons of third-party themes if you want something like that.
2. Only thing I agree with, I've always suggested to add a theme editor rather than bloat the installation with all those variations on the same theme ( 8) ). No very likely to happen though since nobody seems to want to tackle this for now.

Bonus: Now that's just nonsense. There's a Manjaro Cinnamon spin that you might be interested in though.
a)Install browser in Live System but after true installation dont install the packages which were de-selected(and only notify user to download/install them from GUI software manager) by the user just like GParted(like how it is removed after installation) and add an entry to the updates section with firefox(here only,im not saying to give choice for firefox only but for all other packages) listed in the update section with 2 options available: a.1)install locally available version.; a.2)Install latest version.
c)>1.: I agree that there are tons of 3rd-party but most of them lack some or the other thing and rest are buddy so an official implementation would help a lot...:-)

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm

1976 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 am
listed in the update section with 2 options available: a.1)install locally available version.; a.2)Install latest version.
If it doesn't get installed during installation then there is no locally available version, I thought that was your whole point. Also the OS should never suggest to install a version older than the latest, in particular not for a browser.

This "let the user choose during install" thing has been suggested a couple of times but I'm really not convinced that it adds any value. The entire point of Linux distributions is to give you the full package, and in particular a distro like Mint which draws in a lot of new users shouldn't bother the user asking to tick boxes in front of software that they have never heard of before, anyway. If you do not like a software after installation, just remove it. Disk space isn't an issue these days so no harm in installing everything first.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1976 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:59 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm
1976 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 am
listed in the update section with 2 options available: a.1)install locally available version.; a.2)Install latest version.
If it doesn't get installed during installation then there is no locally available version, I thought that was your whole point. Also the OS should never suggest to install a version older than the latest, in particular not for a browser.

This "let the user choose during install" thing has been suggested a couple of times but I'm really not convinced that it adds any value. The entire point of Linux distributions is to give you the full package, and in particular a distro like Mint which draws in a lot of new users shouldn't bother the user asking to tick boxes in front of software that they have never heard of before, anyway. If you do not like a software after installation, just remove it. Disk space isn't an issue these days so no harm in installing everything first.
Okay i understood ur points on these issues but what about Frost/Blur effect official implementation ,can it be taken into consideration.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”