Suggestion for Update Manager LM XFCE

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
lingben
Level 2
Level 2

Suggestion for Update Manager LM XFCE

Post by lingben » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:53 am

Hi,
first, allow me to thank the Linux Mint team and wider community for a truly wonderful OS. I'm continuously astounded at the polish and quality.

Here's my suggestion for LM XFCE's update manager software UX: once updates are selected and chosen to be installed by the user there is a pop-up screen asking for the user's password. This is to be expected and normal of course. What happens next is a tiny bit of an annoyance. After the password has been entered, there are at least two other pop-ups which interrupt the user's UX.

The only one which IMHO is acceptable is the window which informs the user of further software/dependencies which must be also installed as a consequence of the updates previously selected. The user is given a list and asked to choose cancel or to proceed.

But after this, there is really no need to interrupt the user by having the update manager's window pop-up above all other open windows.

That is to say, a regular user is typically busy doing other things parallel to the update. They are either using their browser or another piece of software or looking at the file manager to open a file or whatever. This task which most likely has a window open gets interrupted by the subsequent update manager's pop-up windows informing the user of the actual installation and granular details. These update manager's windows (I've always encountered two pop-ups) are a nuisance as they interrupt the flow of UX and require the user to click to minimize them or to click on another window to make it the active window.

If the user was typing something or clicking on something, their workflow is interrupted because this new small update manager pop-up window takes center stage and requires attention!

So my suggestion is to have these subsequent update manager window pop-ups which serve to simply inform the user of what update manager is doing, to make these "pop-unders" not pop-ups so that the user's workflow is not interrupted.

Thank you!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Suggestion for Update Manager LM XFCE

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 am

lingben wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:53 am
So my suggestion is to have these subsequent update manager window pop-ups which serve to simply inform the user of what update manager is doing, to make these "pop-unders" not pop-ups so that the user's workflow is not interrupted.
Good suggestion! I support it. :)
It's not only relevant for Xfce, but for MATE and Cinnamon too.

You might need to post this idea here as well:
https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

lingben
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lingben » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi Pjotr,
thanks for seconding the suggestion. With regards to other DE's you're probably correct that this same suggestion for UX improvement to the update manager would be applicable to cinnamon or others. I mentioned XFCE since it is the one that I'm using and familiar with. I haven't tested this issue of the update manager pop-over (instead of pop-under) with other DEs but I'll take your word for it.

I'm not familiar with community.linuxmint.com's website, it seems to require another account with its own login/password to register before being able to contribute the idea there.

May I ask that you or someone else who already have such an account do this? It would be very much appreciated. My only goal is to contribute, in whatever small way, constructively to the LM project.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 pm

lingben wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:53 am
I thought about this a little while ago when I implemented unattended self-upgrades for my modified Update Manager in my PPA. I ended up popping up the installation dialog even when doing the unattended upgrade because I wanted to inform the user that it was happening and a desktop notification is easily overlooked. But I went back and forth on it and might still change it back and do just a notification for I'm not entirely happy with it.

But your case is not unattended, it's a direct response to your user interaction so how is this interrupting your workflow? Also would you prefer not to have the popup at all, i.e. just click on install and other than the "installing updates" status info in Update Manager you won't see progress info, or to have it but start minimized? Just curious. It's the first time I see somebody complain about this. Also not saying I'm going to do anything about it (and if yes then only for my version, anyway), but adding a checkbox to preferences to control this is certainly something that could be done.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”